Wear a rosary but not catholic?

I have a very nice rosary that I wear around my neck but I am not catholic. However before you think it is just a fashion accessory, I believe in God and have my own personal relationship with him. I feel protected with the rosary, when I need strength I wrap the beads around my hand and it makes me feel closer to God, I will kiss the crucifix when I want to thank God, my crucifix has a small figurine of Jesus on it and that helps to always remind me to think of others and be a good person, and just having it around my neck makes me feel a sense of peace and happiness and connected to God.

I am not interested in opinions about wearing a rosary around one’s neck, I read through this thread forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=80700 and the general consensus is that wearing a rosary around your neck is perfectly fine if that is how you like to hold your rosary.

I love my rosary but I am not catholic, in fact I don’t really consider myself any religion, I have my own personal relationship with God. So what do you think about that? Is it wrong to wear a rosary if you aren’t catholic but you have a love for God?

You seem resolved to wear it regardless of what anyone’s opinion is. Why not become Catholic?

You might not consider yourself any religion, but Christianity is the only religion who believes Jesus on the cross is God. :slight_smile:

1. I think you should investigate the Catholic Church some more and maybe you’ll find that you should have a relationship with Christ within the Catholic Church. :slight_smile:

2. If you want to wear one, why not? If devils flee from the Cross, why not the rosary, which has a Cross?

Well because like I said I have my own personal relationship with God and that includes not necessarily believing in just one religion’s ideals, because I personally get more out of life if I can incorporate what I like about different religions into my own life. For example I also have some Buddhist beliefs.

Thank you. So a rosary with Jesus on the crucifix belongs to Christianity? The idea of Jesus on the cross to me is a nice one and wearing it reminds me to think of others before myself.

I do need to investigate the Catholic church some more, I agree.

And thank you for your opinion regarding the rosary.

Any time. :slight_smile:

btw CAF is a great place to start investigating. It really helped clear up some misconceptions for me. I also recommend davidmacd.com/catholic/index2.htm

But that site must be under reconstruction or something bc, at least for me, the search isn’t where it should be, and it isn’t organized like it used to be.

I agree…your investigation will be fruitful, especially if you read the Catechism and answer questions you may have in your mind with hard facts. The Catechism is filled with Bibical references which will back up Catholic teaching.
As a practising Catholic…I hereby authorize you to wear and carry a rosary…think about what it means and how it is used…God bless.:slight_smile:

Thank you again. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much, your post made me very happy. God bless. :slight_smile:

If you’re going to wear it, why not pray it? It will change your life. God bless you!

How to pray the Rosary:

newadvent.org/images/rosary.pdf
rosary-center.org/howto.htm

Webpage where you can pray with others around the world at the same time:

comepraytherosary.org/

Thank you very much for the information, it is beneficial. Prayer is still something I need to work on; in my youth I used to pray a lot but for some reason it has become more difficult for me as I got older. It sounds crazy as prayer is such a healing and beautiful thing! But I think with the approval of you nice people to wear a rosary, praying will become easier for me, especially holding the rosary while I pray! I think I needed a rosary to feel comfortable to start praying again. Thanks again and God bless.

Wouldn’t it be better to conform yourself to what’s* true,* rather than what appeals to you, ethan?

Isn’t your paradigm rather like that tale, “The Emperor’s New Clothes”?

That is, it appeals to this Emperor to believe the flattery his unctuous servants have offered him, and he is now parading around naked, but, he’s happy in his own little fantastical truth.

You sound very confused.

Well this is where we will have to disagree unfortunately. I don’t believe in just one universal truth, in fact I think what is “true” to each person is very different and we all have to come to our own personal truths to be happy within ourselves and to be happy with life. I believe in God but why I can’t convert to any one religion is because through time and experience and growth of mind, what is true to me changes but not my faith in God. I hope that makes sense. :slight_smile:

I am a bit confused, not about what religion I SHOULD be because I am not concerned with that, I can say that a lot of my beliefs change over time as I get more experience in life and I meet more people, but the one thing that won’t change is my belief in God.

Good analogy. :thumbsup:

Also I don’t think God will be mad at me for being confused because I love him. :slight_smile:

We might get into a discussion later about whether there’s “just one universal truth”, but right now I was just talking about whether it’s better to conform your beliefs to what’s true, or to what appeals to you.

Would you not agree with me that any seeker’s primary goal would be to conform his beliefs to the truth?

And who is this him that you love? Does he love you? And how do you know?

Well this is where we will have to disagree unfortunately. I don’t believe in just one universal truth, in fact I think what is “true” to each person is very different and we all have to come to our own personal truths to be happy within ourselves and to be happy with life. I believe in God but why I can’t convert to any one religion is because through time and experience and growth of mind, what is true to me changes but not my faith in God. I hope that makes sense.

Just a thought ethan, if there is more than one “universal” truth, how can either of them be universal? lol Just something to note. And it’s a great thing that you are attracted to the beauty and power of the rosary. It is truly Mary’s second greatest gift to the world (Christ being the first of course). But if you love the rosary as much as you seem too, why not focus more on the man “on” the rosary? Christ said “I am the way”. That kind of excludes drawing on dozens of different religions and making your own faith. I mean why wear the rosary if you don’t want to believe in Christ? I know you believe in God but it sounds like you don’t necessarily believe Christ is God, or that Christ isn’t the only God? I admit I got a little confused as well trying to understand your current state of beliefs, which you admit you are confused as well and that’s perfectly ok. You’ve come to the right place if you’re seeking answers. The people on here are truly wonderful and are great at providing information as well as love and support to anyone in need or want. God Bless and welcome home!

Yes I do believe that is a seeker’s primary goal but I’m still looking for what I believe to be true. I don’t know what it is yet. I think it might be a lifelong struggle, but I am on my way to finding out, and as I said I have beliefs in Buddhism as well… so I think I may get more tries until I get it right finally. :thumbsup:

Maybe my beliefs lie more in Buddhism than anything else but like I said I am on my way to finding out what is true and where I am right now is not in a place to put my beliefs in any religion at this time.

I know in your opinion I will probably die confused and not get another chance and maybe that is true, I don’t know. I am confused. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.