Wearable Art Exhibit

I took my kids to an art exhibit today of all wearable art – mostly dresses and jewelry. There was a place to vote for your favorite piece so they can give a “Visitor’s Favorite” award to one of the artists. Most of the stuff was really cool, and I was prepared for maybe some immodest clothing, etc.

My kids voted for their favorites. My oldest son (12) picked a beautiful ball gown that was all done in camoflage material. When I read the blurb that the artist wrote about what her inspiration was it was actually in protest of the Iraq war. So, that’s fine. I know that the arts tend to be fairly liberal, and that was no big deal. I think he wishes he would have read that first as it would have affected his vote, but still, not offensive, just a differing viewpoint from mine.

Another one of my sons (age 7) voted for this funky necklace-type thing. It was made out of fishing line and syringes and it was really spiky, poking out. It was called “Repel-Aprilophobia”.

The artist wrote that this was made to promote the idea that she wants to see the disappearance of our “freedom to breed”. The idea behind the necklace is that people cannot get close enough to the wearer to engage in any sexual activity therefore ending the future conception of children. :bigyikes:

Oh, this offended me on so many levels. The son who voted for this had no idea the meaning behind it, he just thought it looked cool. In her “perfect” world, he wouldn’t even be here to admire it, especially being a 4th child in a family.

And the term “freedom to breed” – like we’re no more than animals. Ugh. I was fuming when we left there. I explained to my children while we were still there why that particular piece was so offensive to me/us. And, I hope the people who were working there heard me. :slight_smile:

I think I’m going to send an email to the art center now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.