Wearing a brown scapular if not a Carmelite

I'm just curious, can a non Carmelite nun wear the brown scapular? I mean the small brown scapular that laity wear as well, not the type of scapular the Carmelite nuns wear.

Does anyone know?

thanks! :)

Well I am neither a Carmelite nor a nun nor a woman, but I wear a brown scapular. So my answer is yes :)

God bless :byzsoc:

David

:) thanks for the reply. I wear a brown scapular also.

Well I meant if someone is a nun, but not a Carmelite (for example, a Dominican) if she could still wear the (little) brown scapular.

God bless!

That is a question for the novice/formation director. I would think that a Dominican sister would be encouraged to delve into Dominican spirituality. I do know a Carmelite novice who was asked to remove a the bracelet (chain) that many people wear after they have completed the Consecration to Jesus through Mary. If you enter a particular order, you should be ready to follow the traditions of that order.

[quote="Monica4316, post:3, topic:259216"]
:) thanks for the reply. I wear a brown scapular also.

Well I meant if someone is a nun, but not a Carmelite (for example, a Dominican) if she could still wear the (little) brown scapular.

God bless!

[/quote]

Absolutely. Fun fact! The Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate (FFI) wear the small brown scapular under their habits. I think the Friars do, too. :)

[quote="Mrs_Sally, post:4, topic:259216"]
That is a question for the novice/formation director. I would think that a Dominican sister would be encouraged to delve into Dominican spirituality. I do know a Carmelite novice who was asked to remove a the bracelet (chain) that many people wear after they have completed the Consecration to Jesus through Mary. If you enter a particular order, you should be ready to follow the traditions of that order.

[/quote]

I can understand about the "little chain" (though I would also think it's good if an order allowed it), because it's a particular devotion, though on many websites of different orders I see that the nuns make the Total Consecration. :) However I thought it's different with the scapular, because it's not only seen as a Carmelite devotion but something to help you in salvation, - so if a person has been enrolled they intend to wear the scapular until death..

[quote="DaughterOfMary6, post:5, topic:259216"]
Absolutely. Fun fact! The Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate (FFI) wear the small brown scapular under their habits. I think the Friars do, too. :)

[/quote]

that's good to know, thanks! :)

I'm basically wondering if it could be allowed as a personal devotion :)

And that question can only be answered by your novitiate/formations director.

[quote="DaughterOfMary6, post:5, topic:259216"]

[/quote]

I didn't know this 'fun fact' about the Franciscans of the Immaculate!

As for myself, i began wearing the Brown Scapular in 1969, when I found out about its 'connection' with the Message of Our Lady of Fatima. I wasn't formally invested until 1978, when I went to a shrine in [of all places] North Dakota, and I asked the priest-director to do it.

Anyway, when one is invested in the Scapular, he or she becomes spiritually affiliated with the Carmelite Order.

I asked a Sister and she said it is allowed :)

[quote="Monica4316, post:9, topic:259216"]
I asked a Sister and she said it is allowed :)

[/quote]

And each individual would still have to ask their formator - and later, superior - if it was allowed, because what is permitted by one religious institute is not necessarily permitted by another, and what is permitted in one religious house of an institute may not be permitted in another, and what is permitted for solemnly professed religious may not be permitted for religious in formation (as I discovered during my own novitiate!); and so on.

You have a general answer, that it is often possible. But the specific answer will depend on the place where each person has been called, and what the customs are within that setting.

thanks for the information :)

The brown scapular is a sacramental belonging to the entire Church. When one is invested in it, it makes one share in the obligations required of any baptized person- chastity according to one's state, recitation of the rosary or other prayers(Little Office), and faithful wearing of it. These obligations do not violate any existing rule of any religious order. The Carmelite Order is only the custodian of this treasure, not its owner. It belongs to the devotional treasures of the Church.

Sister Helena, that is very true and one of the beautifies of the scapular. However, you will agree that each person in formation for religious life should follow the direction of his or her formator in what devotions to use. I doubt any director would forbid the wearing of the brown scapular, but it is not the place of laity to tell someone in formation what their order will allow.

[quote="Mrs_Sally, post:13, topic:259216"]
Sister Helena, that is very true and one of the beautifies of the scapular. However, you will agree that each person in formation for religious life should follow the direction of his or her formator in what devotions to use. I doubt any director would forbid the wearing of the brown scapular, but it is not the place of laity to tell someone in formation what their order will allow.

[/quote]

You're right, it is not the place of the laity and not even Sisters within the same Community, to tell anybody in Formation anything, except those who are charged with formation in Community. But even formators do not dictate devotions. In the course of living the community life, new members will pick up whatever devotions are practiced in Community, but there will be devotions which will remain personal and the Spirit is permitted to work as he pleases. It is not as rigid as you think.

Thank you Sister.

[quote="Sister_Helena, post:12, topic:259216"]
The brown scapular is a sacramental belonging to the entire Church. When one is invested in it, it makes one share in the obligations required of any baptized person- chastity according to one's state, recitation of the rosary or other prayers(Little Office), and faithful wearing of it. These obligations do not violate any existing rule of any religious order. The Carmelite Order is only the custodian of this treasure, not its owner. It belongs to the devotional treasures of the Church.

[/quote]

You are right Sister...the scapular is a 'church' devotion....but just being invested into it does not mean you enjoy the graces of the charism of the carmelite order....am I wrong? There is the sabbatine priviliege but notanything to do with the graces of sharing what the carmelites receive as an order..whether, first, second or third order...please clarify...

Thank you for the replies! :slight_smile:

Shoshana, I was told that you do share in the graces of Carmel if you wear the scapular… but yes it’s a "church’ devotion also. :slight_smile: I’m pretty sure… Our Lady told us to wear the scapular when she appeared in Fatima…

[quote="Shoshana, post:16, topic:259216"]

You are right Sister...the scapular is a 'church' devotion....but just being invested into it does not mean you enjoy the graces of the charism of the carmelite order....am I wrong? There is the sabbatine priviliege but notanything to do with the graces of sharing what the carmelites receive as an order..whether, first, second or third order...please clarify...

[/quote]

If you are enrolled in the Bron Scapular, you share in the benefits and spiritual privileges of the Carmelite Order. rc.net/lansing/ctk/carmelites/ocds1.htm

Thank you! :) But you must also practise some of the carmelite devotions...it just does not come with 'it' if one just wears it...

One who is officially “enrolled” makes committments to certain spiritual practices associated with the Carmelite Order and their name is registered with the Order. A

[quote="Shoshana, post:19, topic:259216"]
Thank you! :) But you must also practise some of the carmelite devotions...it just does not come with 'it' if one just wears it...

One who is officially “enrolled” makes committments to certain spiritual practices associated with the Carmelite Order and their name is registered with the Order. A

[/quote]

Devotions are not pre-requisite to enrolling in the brown scapular. The requirements are the recitation of the rosary (or reciting the Little Office of the Virgin Mary), practicing chastity according to one's state in life, and the actual wearing of the scapular. Implicit in the enrollment is the obligation of imitating Mary in her virtues, and the more conscious efforts of living the Christian life in its fullness. Devotions are fruits of one's spiritual life. Devotions do not make a Carmelite.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.