Wearing A Crucifix

I know it’s not mandated that anyone wear a crucifix…

It may be my location, but it appears that I am the only one who wears a crucifix and wear it openly… Sometimes I have received glances that make me proud to wear it but my flesh hates the opposition.

Who all here wears a crucifix on a daily basis?

I also have a “habit” if you would call it that, of grabbing and rubbing it every so often that I cannot count the times I do that.

Is there any particular devotion to wearing a Crucifix?

Who all here wears a crucifix on a daily basis?

I do (most of the time).

I also have a “habit” if you would call it that, of grabbing and rubbing it every so often that I cannot count the times I do that.

I sometimes hold on to mine when I pray, when I am tempted, whenever I need to remind myself of Christ’s presence.

Is there any particular devotion to wearing a Crucifix?

It is a public witness to your faith. When I am wearing a crucifix, I had better behave in a way consistent with being a follower of Christ.

It is an external way to “put on the Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans 13:14). The difficult part is to put on Christ interiorly!

It reminds me that the Christian life must be sacrificial. “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me” (Luke 9:23).

I wear a five way medal every day - it is on a short silver chain so it is right at the base of my throat.

[ATTACH]5037[/ATTACH]

My husband wears a gold crucifix every day and wears it outside his shirt.

~Liza

I also wear a Crucifix every day, and also a Miraculous Medal and the brown Scapular.

Peace,
Linda

This is a side question - sorry if it is off topic. I wear a cross every day but not a crucifix. Is there a particular reason to wear a crucifix versus a cross. The cross also reminds me of who I am in moments of weakness, but I wondered if perhaps a crucifix is better for a Catholic to be wearing?

Good question…

For me, it is to remind me of the Suffering/Passion of Christ. A Cross without the Corpus is a symbol of the Resurrected Christ, so I really don’t know.

But for me, I would rather wear a Crucifix than a Corpus-less Cross because of the meaning the Corpus Christi on the Cross.

I wear a crucifix every day. My mother in law gave it to me for Christmas 2007. I feel weird without it!:smiley:

I’ve worn a Franciscan Tau for about six months now, but I may find something else to wear. I don’t want people to think I’m a (Secular) Franciscan when I’m not.

I wear a celtic cross and a miraculous medal.
I got both several years ago when I was pagan. I wore them then, and I wear them proudly now, as I am finally back home.

If I find a crucifix that really calls to me, I will wear that. But til then, I love what I have.

http://4imgs.com/306/x/a624_FULL.jpg
I wear the St. Benedict Crucifix but it is in Black color. I could hit Satan with this 3.25 inch Crucifix. :slight_smile:

I need to get me one of them…

I wear one every day. Matter of fact, it is the same one given to me by my Grandparents in 1976, when I was 9 years old, and received my First Holy Communion. :slight_smile:

I never remove it.

I wear a Crucifix on my Scapular… always. But it’s worn under my clothes… so, no one really sees it. Not that I’m ashamed of it. But it’s just easier to wear a Scapular UNDER your clothes. They don’t get tangled that way.

But I also wear a visible one, most days. It’s a silver Papal Crucifix (the type on the staff of the Holy Father). It’s my favorite! I call it my “Every day Crucifix”.

in the winter I wear a 1 1/2 inch crucifix that I bought at the Vatican. I wear it on a long chain. During the summer I wear a more dainty cross that my husband bought me. It is on a much shorter chain and and more comfortable in the hot weather. And yes, I do handle it often.

I wear a crucifix and a Miraculous Medal :slight_smile:

i wear one… & sometimes get treated “funny” because of it. I know the treatment is because of that because i don’t know the people from adam…

Have you had it blessed?

that reminds me… i don’t think mine is blessed…

thanks for the reminder… :slight_smile:

I wear one everyday. It’s based off an Irish (Celtic art) cross. I also have a St. Dominc medal over it.

I just don’t understand why one has to remove it when showering. Why is it considered disrespectful to have it on when bathing?

I don’t think it’s disrespectful :confused:

I think most people are just worried about it getting ruined or falling off or something…

I have a terrible time keeping my crucifixes intact. I am very physically active and so far I’ve had 3 crucifixes get stuck on this or that and the corpus falls off.

Ever since I just carry an old fashion Rosary in my pocket and a brown scapular. Never leave home without it.

I keep a “Our Lady of Guadalupe” medal on my badge at work.

But what I find most useful to others and my spiritual life is to do the basic catholic things really, really well…

I pray before meals - regardless of where I’m eating that meal or the size of the meal. I do the Sign of the Cross and it doesn’t matter who is watching or looking.

Confession and Communion - weekly.

Pray the Rosary every day.

I don’t hide my catholicism, I just live it. If it raises interest or questions in others…I answer the questions.

You’d be amazed at the various reactions of people when I give them the “straight ahead” answer as I believe it.

I was praying the Rosary in the chapel (like every day) alone, in silence and someone came in and eventually got around to asking what it was and how it originated.
Among the many things I told 'em - I said, " In the 12th century, the Immaculate, Perpetual Virgin, Mother of God revealed the Rosary to St. Dominic in the format that we enjoy today."

The person looked at me like I had a paper head; asked me if I truly believed that to which I said “yes, of course”.

No more questions from him…I returned to my Rosary.

So you see, we can wear the crucifix in many ways.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.