Wearing/buying fur a sin?

I’ve looked this up before and have found no clear concise answer. Is it a sin to wear or buy fur, leather etc? Thank you.

You would have to judge…like is it some fur from an endangered species…is it too costly etc etc

Catechism:

2416 Animals are God’s creatures. He surrounds them with his providential care. By their mere existence they bless him and give him glory.197 Thus men owe them kindness. We should recall the gentleness with which saints like St. Francis of Assisi or St. Philip Neri treated animals.

2417 God entrusted animals to the stewardship of those whom he created in his own image.198 Hence it is legitimate to use animals for food and clothing. They may be domesticated to help man in his work and leisure. Medical and scientific experimentation on animals is a morally acceptable practice if it remains within reasonable limits and contributes to caring for or saving human lives.

2418 It is contrary to human dignity to cause animals to suffer or die needlessly. It is likewise unworthy to spend money on them that should as a priority go to the relief of human misery. One can love animals; one should not direct to them the affection due only to persons.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a7.htm#2417

:thumbsup:

Pretty much this. At the core of the question though, no, it is not a sin to wear fur or leather. For much of history, we didn’t really have a choice in the matter.

And the Lord God made for Adam and for his wife garments of skins, and clothed them. (Genesis 3:21)

I’ve looked this up before and have found no clear concise answer. Is it a sin to wear or buy fur, leather etc?

CCC 2417 provides the clear, concise answer:

2417 God entrusted animals to the stewardship of those whom he created in his own image.198 Hence it is legitimate to use animals for food and clothing. They may be domesticated to help man in his work and leisure. Medical and scientific experimentation on animals is a morally acceptable practice if it remains within reasonable limits and contributes to caring for or saving human lives.

No.

John the Baptist, Jesus, practically every single person in the Bible wore leather and skins and fur. Not to mention the Pope’s own wardrobe…

It’s no more a sin than eating meat is. If you are a vegetarian or a vegan, you might not want to wear fur or leather.

Not a sin.

My wife both owns and wears LOTS of fur coats all the time. She looks rather ravishing in them if I do say so myself :smiley:

2417 God entrusted animals to the stewardship of those whom he created in his own image.198 Hence it is legitimate to use animals for food and clothing.

Clothing for function and clothing meant to impress is something entirely different imo.

The ONLY reason people in ancient times worse fur is because they had no other alternative, today we have much better clothing for keeping warm, synthetic fabrics can retain heat unlike any natural material, people do not buy fur for the warmth either, its only bought for ONE reason.

It may not be a sin, but its wrong imo, if bought for materialistic reasons, the animals who die for these things suffer a great deal.

Leather is a bit different, in that the rest of the cow being killed is used to feed people, and leather has quite a few functional uses, it all depends on the buyer and how they are going to use it. I would not buy any material like this for materialistic reasons though.

Fur is a very green, renewable resource. Additionally, animals harvested for furs, such as mink, are used in a great deal of byproducts as well.

You could buy several good coats for the same price as one fur or leather. Keep one for yourself and give the rest to people sleeping on the street during this cold winter.
Greed and materialism is a sin.

“The man who has two tunics is to share with him who has none; and he who has food is to do likewise.” Luke 3:11

Actually by your standard then Columbia, Patagonia and my other ski
Jackets are sins… A good Columbia system is 300 dollars on sale. Today I bought ski boots for 700 dollars. Yet my leather cowboy boots were about 25 on sale…
Should I go to confession for my recreation?

The furs Ive seen, someone could buy hundreds of regular coats that retain warmth just as well, I imagine your statement is likely what Jesus would say in such a situation though, but I think he would be more aggravated at the companies setting the prices that high.

Majority of synthetic jackets will not keep someone truly warm.

My wife gets super cold in the winter and according to her, nothing keeps her more warm than wearing a fur coat. She owns at least a dozen furs. I’m talking fox strollers, full length foxes, minks, etc. Does this constitute greed? Believe it or not, the furs do degrade over time and are subject to some unfixable rips.

Personally, I do not buy or wear it because I don’t want my clothes to come from death/suffering, but I do not think it is a sin unless the product is obtained through animal abuse, which is rampant in the fur industry and factory farms.

China is brutal in it’s methods when obtaining fur pelts. However, majority of Canada and the U.S. fur farms use human treatment. In fact, most employ euthanizing the animals with a sleeping agent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.