Wearing of uniforms during reconciliation?

I plan on attending confession for the first time, in 30 years. I’m working the night shift as a police officer, and would only be able to attend in uniform. After confession I’d need to go straight to work. My question is would my uniform,including duty belt and sidearm, cause alarm? Should I wait a week, and go when I’ve got the day off? Or should I attempt to make an appointment, for sometime later?

I understand that the police uniform can be intimidating to some people, and that possession of a sidearm might seem to be in poor form.

This really boils down to a prudential judgment on your part. Different areas would react differently. I don’t think most people would be alarmed at a police officer in uniform with a weapon, but there are some that might be. There’s nothing inherently wrong with it, but you also don’t want unnecessary problems. If you think there might be an issue, then the safest course would be to make an appointment or to go on your off time.

God bless and thank you for your service to our communities.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.