Wearing the ashes of the deceased

I own a retail store and we get several people come in and ask if we carry the vials on a chain that they can wear the ashes of their deceased loved ones. We PERSONALLY do not agree with this and so we choose not to carry those items (and we could sell a bunch of it if we did!) could anyone tell me the CHURCH’s teaching on this matter? I would like to have something to back up my beliefs. Thank you and God Bless.

Creamation is not prohibited per se, by Church. It can be done for a just reason

But the remains cannot be scattered, separated, nor remain in the house. They must be interred properly

usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-resources/cremation/

The definitive guide on Catholic funerals is the Order of Christian Funerals. The USCCB website quotes from that text

usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-resources/cremation/cremation-and-funerals.cfm

The cremated remains of a body should be treated with the same respect given to the human body from which they come. This includes the use of a worthy vessel to contain the ashes, the manner in which they are carried, and the care and attention to appropriate placement and transport, and the final disposition. The cremated remains should be buried in a grave or entombed in a mausoleum or columbarium. The practice of scattering cremated remains on the sea, from the air, or on the ground, or keeping cremated remains on the home of a relative or friend of the deceased are not the reverent disposition that the Church requires. (no. 417)

More specifically, in the text

T]he practice of scattering cremated remains on the sea, from the air, or on the ground, or keeping cremated remains in the home of a relative or friend of the deceased are not the reverent disposition that the Church requires (OCF 416, ).

Thank you Brendan! God Bless. I am printing it and putting it up in my store!

Suggest that you also cover using the ashes of the deceased to make glass wear, jewellery and paperweights etc. I was shocked to see such adverts in the crematorium waiting room recently, it shows such disrespect for the deceased.

We had one guy come in and was going to take his daughters ashes mix it with ink and get a tattoo!! Now I do not know if that is possible, but he was really serious about it. My point is also, that if you have the ashes in a crystal vial and you drop and break that vial then your loved one’s ashes are going to be mixed in with dirt, and if your chain breaks and you lose it what if the next person who finds it just throws it in the trash or dumps out the ashes?

:bigyikes:

:bigyikes:
wow. there are no words.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.