I have a question for you all; is this website a reliable Catholic info?

thanks for answering.

[quote="wisdomseeker, post:1, topic:177552"]
I have a question for you all; is this website a reliable Catholic info?

thanks for answering.

[/quote]

There's a picture of kids cheering and wearing face paint during a Mass. I'm not sure how Catholic that website is.

I think it is a Franciscan site…so I feel it must be OK

[quote="redrosetea, post:3, topic:177552"]
I think it is a Franciscan site..so I feel it must be OK

[/quote]

yes. i found this website in my parish website. i dont know what to make of it either.

i dont like the name. American Catholic. this is kind suspicious to me.

What suspicious about it…I think it is OK to be an American

It appears to be a site filled with "watered down" content related to the Catholic faith. I have been receiving a newsletter from this site for about six months. The newsletters are not inspiring. I would say this site is trying to be catholic but is not in touch with the real and serious issues facing our society.

For example, there is an article defending the CCHD. Check out the real story of CCHD at Saint Michael's media. The contrast in how the CCHD is portrayed is interesting. How can two sites claiming to be catholic portray such different cases?

Beware.

The bishops defended it too..I like the site..If is filled with good explanations for why we believe as we do

It is orientated toward people who are learning their faith..It is not some deep theological site

I have never once seen anything posted against faith or morals

You might not like the site, but that doesn't mean it posts heresy

catholicculture.org/culture/reviews/view.cfm?recnum=163&repos=2&subrepos=0&searchid=548331

Here's a review of the problems of the site.

It undermines the Real Presence, features dissidents.. and is basically heterodox.

Rather notorious really.

Avoid evil sites like this, that mix truth with poison. :)

I find much useful information on that site from Fr Gregg Friedman..form saint of the day from Friar Jack

I like the homilies and for the ride home thoughts

Like most places you have to pick and choose..The friars are always faithful to the magesterium

[quote="rskempf, post:6, topic:177552"]
It appears to be a site filled with "watered down" content related to the Catholic faith. I have been receiving a newsletter from this site for about six months. The newsletters are not inspiring. I would say this site is trying to be catholic but is not in touch with the real and serious issues facing our society.

For example, there is an article defending the CCHD. Check out the real story of CCHD at Saint Michael's media. The contrast in how the CCHD is portrayed is interesting. How can two sites claiming to be catholic portray such different cases?

Beware.

[/quote]

yes, the other day talking to this lady, she told me she went to get her certificate for ccd teacher, and this class was giving by people who called themselves American Catholics. the disparaty of their teachings was so scary that she had to fight the teacher. she told me that this teacher was telling everybody in the class that no Catholics had to obey the pope anymore among other things....

and since i know that strange things are happening in my parish and this website was in their website, i have my suspicious. i am in a parish that claps, sings birthday, and the priest calls other Catholics visitors and invites them up front. i wonder if this has anything to do wiht that group taht is trying to form a new CC in america. this is my biggest concern. how would i know?

i find my parish more protestant than Catholic. many others in my parish are very upset with what is going. some people are calling this priest father Bozo. very sad indeed.

I sympathize. My parish is also more protestant than Catholic. I remain to help start a change back to orthodoxy. I also try to protect the unaware by gently informing them of the errors present.

It is a spiritual battle field that we are in. Our home turf has been infiltrated. Keep the faith!

it is a mixed bag like many "Catholic" sites out there including those sponsored by traditionalists. you have to review everything, but a lot is great like saints and other features. it is the site for the magazine St Anthony Messenger, and yes it is sponsored by one branch of the Franciscans. The magazine, the site, and their other publications like Catholic Update leaflet tracts are also a mixed bag, some excellent useful articles by reliable, excellent authors, others are problematic. Their publishing list of books has been improving lately I am glad to see, so perhaps there is change in editorial policy in the works. With this site like every other you have to distinguish between content on the site itself and material on links, but links are one clue, not the only one, to the thinking that drives the site.

thank you Annie you always give such wise answers

[quote="Shin, post:8, topic:177552"]
catholicculture.org/culture/reviews/view.cfm?recnum=163&repos=2&subrepos=0&searchid=548331

Here's a review of the problems of the site.

It undermines the Real Presence, features dissidents.. and is basically heterodox.

Rather notorious really.

Avoid evil sites like this, that mix truth with poison. :)

[/quote]

thank you. it confirms my suspicious. i think that something very wrong is going on in my parish. the pastor have women clean up the Altar after Eucharist is finished and the women is the one to take the remain host into Tabernacle. according to the Church's teachings only the priest or deacon can take the Host to the Tabernacle. so my priest is in disobedience.

i sincerely think that he is trying to promote women to the priesthood. since he came aboard, his whole crew are women. I have to tell someone about this. it seems like not many people care about what is going on. i know women in my parish that would love to see women becoming priests.

[quote="rskempf, post:11, topic:177552"]
I sympathize. My parish is also more protestant than Catholic. I remain to help start a change back to orthodoxy. I also try to protect the unaware by gently informing them of the errors present.

It is a spiritual battle field that we are in. Our home turf has been infiltrated. Keep the faith!

[/quote]

i try to do the same but i am surrounded by liberals that loves this kind of thing. but i find a few that also agree with me. so it is encouraging. it is a battlefield. an overwhelming one.

i wish i could find an SSPX priest in my area.

[quote="wisdomseeker, post:14, topic:177552"]
thank you. it confirms my suspicious. i think that something very wrong is going on in my parish. the pastor have women clean up the Altar after Eucharist is finished and the women is the one to take the remain host into Tabernacle. according to the Church's teachings only the priest or deacon can take the Host to the Tabernacle. so my priest is in disobedience.

i sincerely think that he is trying to promote women to the priesthood. since he came aboard, his whole crew are women. I have to tell someone about this. it seems like not many people care about what is going on. i know women in my parish that would love to see women becoming priests.

[/quote]

You're not the only one by far suffering from this sort of pastor, if your suspicions are correct. Pray and bear with it as much as is best, change parishes if it is too much. Sometimes the Church is in better shape than others, but she is always in the hands of the Lord who created her. :)

[quote="Shin, post:16, topic:177552"]
You're not the only one by far suffering from this sort of pastor, if your suspicions are correct. Pray and bear with it as much as is best, change parishes if it is too much. Sometimes the Church is in better shape than others, but she is always in the hands of the Lord who created her. :)

[/quote]

i would change if i could but each one i have been to it is worse than the others.

i have no where to go but stay. at least until our Lord hear my plea and bring a holy priest to this town. may be others see and follow.

Clicking on the site, I immediately see one article entitled "We should celebrate Darwin," and another one called "We need to stand behind CCHD," if that answers the question.

[quote="JaMc, post:18, topic:177552"]
Clicking on the site, I immediately see one article entitled "We should celebrate Darwin," and another one called "We need to stand behind CCHD," if that answers the question.

[/quote]

yes. i saw that. and i saw other things Like: we should get involved wiht the Mass, we should discuss what prayers should should be said, what songs to be sung and others.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.