Website trying to show Peter's tomb in Jerusalem

I was curious to know what some of you guys thought about this:
aloha.net/~mikesch/peters-jerusalem-tomb.htm

I’ve seen it before. Way too much second-hand, third-hand, and conspiracy-type information.

How about the alleged quote from the pope: “We’ll have to change some things, but for now, keep it quiet.” :whacky: I’m more lucid even when I miss my meds.

I’m glad you brought it up, though; I had not seen it in a while.

Peace.

[quote=Cody]I was curious to know what some of you guys thought about this…
[/quote]

I skimmed bits of it, and I was unable to read more than a few sentences before his shoddy scholarship shone through. For example:

The Catholic Church says that Peter was Pope in Rome from 41 to 66 A.D.

Umm, scuse me??? The Catholic Church says no such thing!

Eusebius, one of the most learned men of his time, wrote the Church history up to the year 325 A.D. He said that Peter never was in Rome.

Um, no he doesn’t.

Of course, he can’t resist doing a little Catholic-bashing just for the sake of it, even though it has nothing to do with his thesis. His little Vatican tour seems to be somewhat fanciful. He said to his tour guide,

[size=2]"Surely you are aware of the affair between Pope Pius XII and his housekeeper?.. He hung his head in shame and sadly said, *“Yes, I know.”*Not a very good tour guide. This was a rumor started by the housekeeper’s sister, which was disproved. And, of course, the author couldn’t help but include the old accusations that the Church supported the Nazis (these accusations have been thoroughly disproven, but maybe not back in 1953 when this was apparently written).
[/size]
This is shoddy scholarship from an obviously anti-Catholic bias. It’s not worthy of much consideration.

And, of course, the author couldn’t help but include the old accusations that the Church supported the Nazis (these accusations have been thoroughly disproven, but maybe not back in 1953 when this was apparently written).

The accusations didn’t exist at that point, to my knowledge. The Vatican was still at the height of being praised from all quarters as being instrumental to the survival of hundreds of thousands of people.

I have doubts about this website down to the very core of my being.

[quote=Ghosty]I have doubts about this website down to the very core of my being.
[/quote]

Agreed. I think the author went to Loraine Boetner University and had Jack Chick for an instructor. The scholarship seems on-par with that sort of bottom-feeding ilk.

As an aside, is anyone aware of any good websites containing archaeological evidence for the Christian faith?

[quote=Atreyu]As an aside, is anyone aware of any good websites containing archaeological evidence for the Christian faith?
[/quote]

I subscribed for many years to a magazine, Biblical Archaeology Review (BAR), which was very good in many respects.

bib-arch.org/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.