Webster's dictionary redefines 'marriage'

Another example of the decline of our society reflecting how far astray we’ve gone from truth.

"Webster’s dictionary redefines 'marriage’
Now includes references to same-sex relationships

One of the nation’s most prominent dictionary companies has resolved the argument over whether the term “marriage” should apply to same-sex duos or be reserved for the institution that has held families together for millennia: by simply writing a new definition.

“I was shocked to see that Merriam-Webster changed their definition of the word ‘marriage,’ a word which has referred exclusively to a contract between a man and a woman for centuries. It has now added same sex,” YouTube user Eric B. noted to WND. "…

Source and full article: worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=91995

Can’t really fault Merriam-Webster for updating their dictionary to reflect what is the reality in some states and countries.

worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=91995

Webster’s dictionary redefines 'marriage’
Now includes references to same-sex relationships

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/marriage

Main Entry:
mar·riage Listen to the pronunciation of marriage
Pronunciation:
\ˈmer-ij, ˈma-rij\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English mariage, from Anglo-French, from marier to marry
Date:
14th century

1 a (1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage b: the mutual relation of married persons : wedlock c: the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage2: an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected ; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities3: an intimate or close union <the marriage of painting and poetry — J. T. Shawcross>

Advancing the secular agenda by redefining the language. It’s been going on for awhile now. Newspeak prevails.

The process of relabeling confuses people and it’s also used to create the illusion of modernity or “progress” as defined by a small group. This is a form of propaganda in that it gives the appearance that (A) Gay sex is OK. (B) Comedians, and other social pundits, can point to the dictionary and say, See! It’s OK.

Peace,
Ed

Just a travesty…that’s why parents need to be the first teachers of their children, because culture and certainly not many of our secular institutions will protect the definition of what marriage was meant to be when God created man and woman.

In fairness to Webster, they didn’t redefine the word - society has. The pro-homosexuality groups have done the same thing to the word “marriage” by using the term “same-sex marriage” over and over again that they did to the word “gay.” Webster has to update the dictionary accordingly.

It’s just one dictionary, though. However, while we’re on the subject of redefinition:

Main Entry: cath·o·lic
Pronunciation: \ˈkath-lik, ˈka-thə-\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English catholik, from Middle French & Late Latin; Middle French catholique, from Late Latin catholicus, from Greek katholikos universal, general, from katholou in general, from kata by + holos whole — more at cata-, safe
Date: 14th century
1 aoften capitalized : of, relating to, or forming the church universal boften capitalized : of, relating to, or forming the ancient undivided Christian church or a church claiming historical continuity from it ccapitalized : roman catholic
2: comprehensive , universal ; especially : broad in sympathies, tastes, or interests
— ca·thol·i·cal·ly \kə-ˈthä-li-k(ə-)lē\ adverb
— ca·thol·i·cize -ˈthä-lə-ˌsīz\ verb

Main Entry: 2Roman Catholic
Function: adjective
Date: 1614
: of, relating to, or being a Christian church having a hierarchy of priests and bishops under the pope, a liturgy centered in the Mass, veneration of the Virgin Mary and saints, clerical celibacy, and a body of dogma including transubstantiation and papal infallibility

You lost me…where is the redefinition?

Society did not do this. A special interest group did.

Webster is under no obligation to update the dictionary since the usage represents a word redefined by a small group.

Peace,
Ed

I beg to differ. Are you saying that if I search through all of your posts on CAF, I won’t find a place where you use the term “same-sex marriage?” Certainly, there are many posters, self-included, who are opposed to such unions who have used the term. Webster added it because it is being used. :shrug:

Look again at what Webster added:

(2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage>

It seems like a proper definition for the way the word “marriage” is being used in that context. It doesn’t change the validity of a “same-sex marriage,” it just provides a definition for that usage.

I lived through the President Ronald Reagan era and I can’t recall how many times I heard the word Reaganomics, but it’s not in Merriman-Webster online.

Peace,
Ed

It is a very thinly veiled effort to make it acceptable to the younger generation so that it becomes a norm.

No, but supply-side and supply-sider are…with an origin date of 1976.

They can define marriage as the union between a cow and six computers. That doesn’t make it so.

Evil flourishes when good men labor under the misapprehension of ‘tolerance.’

Exactly wrong. Same-sex “marriage” is not a spiritual reality.

There have been times that I’ve used dictionaries like Webster to prove that the word fetus traditionally means little infant. But if Webster has stepped outside of its “authority” and decided to redefine the concept of “marriage”, they may prove to be too partisan to cite as a source.

So you’re saying a small group changed the definition of “marriage” as it was in the dictionary to begin with? This has probably happened before, but I don’t know where. Does anyone have the answer to this where a word in the dictionary was changed by a minority group?

Since Merriam-Webster doesn’t claim to be a spiritual dictionary, I think they’re in the clear. It’s similar to other words where we have a specific definition in our faith. In official documents, the Church doesn’t recognize most other Christian churches by that name, instead referring to them as ecclesial communities. Likewise we may think it presumptious of the Methodists to claim to have bishops, when they obviously don’t have apostolic succession. But since the words are used in those ways by parts of society, the Merriam-Webster would be incomplete to omit such definitions.

I get your meaning. I consider spiritual reality to be THE reality in some respects, although I suspect this breaks down in some ways. I was mainly taking issue with the use of the word “reality”. People calling a mutual same-sex delusion a marriage doesn’t make it “real” or true. So no, Webster doesn’t reflect a reality, but an opinion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.