Wed. 17December - Second half ADVENT - O ANTIPHONS

[/FONT]
On the evening of December 17 the final phase of preparation for Christmas begins with the first of the great “O Antiphons” of Advent. These prayers are seven jewels of liturgical song, one for each day until Christmas Eve.

[FONT=Arial Black]Advent, Part II
From today the prayers and readings take on a different nature.
In the first half of Advent we count forwards: first week, second week, and so on, paying attention to Advent Sunday, the day when Advent started.
Now the second half of Advent has begun, and Advent Sunday is forgotten: it is Christmas Day that matters. Today is the eighth day before Christmas, tomorrow is the seventh day, and so on. The prayers follow this countdown, and the final readings from Isaiah build up to their climax. [/FONT]

About the “Great O’s”[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]

These prayers are seven jewels of liturgical song, one for each day until Christmas Eve. They seem to sum up all our Advent longing for the Savior.
[FONT=Times New Roman][size=3]http://catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0494.html[/size][/FONT]

Advent Tower
[/FONT]http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/prayers/view.cfm?id=4

Some Catholic Family Christmas Customs
[/FONT]http://www.chantcd.com/lyrics/o_antiphons.htm

Chart on the link below… provides a comparative overview of the Latin versions and English translations of the texts used in the Liturgy of the Hours and the Lectionary for Mass, as well as the lyrics from the Advent hymn and some references to a few scriptural passages upon which these texts were based.

Roman Catholic Lectionary website:
catholic-resources.org/Lectionary/Advent-O-Antiphons.htm

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for posting, Barb.

I was especially thrilled by the December 21 antiphon…

“December 21—O DAWN OF THE EAST, brightness of the light eternal, and Sun of Justice— COME! and enlighten them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death”.

And also… by the old Catholic custom… of writing letters to the Child Jesus (instead of Santa Claus), and leaving them on the window sill for angels to carry to Heaven. I had never heard of that, before. It wasn’t done in the United States, to the best of my knowledge. I love it!!!

Our most treasured custom, at Christmas… was in setting up the wooden Nativity Scene (lovingly handmade by my dad). I can remember, as a small child… picking up Baby Jesus, and laying Him back down again. Making sure there was enough straw beneath Him. Making sure that His Holy Mother and St. Joseph were close enough to protect Him. Making sure the lambs, donkey and cow had a good view… etc. lol. And the angel, was at his “post”… just behind the manger.

Brought tears to my eyes… thinking about it. :slight_smile:

:thumbsup: …The Lord’s richest blessings to you and yours this Christmas, MV…Barb:)

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.