Wedding complainers

What do you do about the wedding complainers? :D In the past 2 years i attended a l;ot of weddings including our own. there is always somebody conmplaining about something in fron of you or behind your back. They complain about the food, the music, the dress, the heat, the table arrangments. On our wedding there was one girl complaining that the music is too loud and another guy that his table was the one closet to the door and that he will check a cold.

The last weeding from this weekend i heard the most stupid complain in the world. When the couple cut the cake there were 3 children that offered to take the plates to the guests. While everybody found this the most sweetest thing in the world to receive the cake from 3 beautiful small children there was one complaining person. She said that the 4 year old girl just put the plate in front of her and she was not given the option to refuse the cake. :D:D:D:D:D How dreadful, the 4 year old kid didn't thought of giving you the option. I was like " Geeeee, don't eat it, give it to your husband."

I don't get it why people don't realise that when you are invited to a wedding you are invited to the most important and most beautiful day in a couples life and that wedding like everything taht is done by man is not perfect. Wedding is intended for you to have fun and to share to something beautiful.

I am curios how many of you had similar experiences. Please tell us so we can have some fun.

well I've never had that experience but then again I've only been to 1 wedding :D and i agree no one should be complaining especially about 3 little adorable kids passing out plates that complaining would have made me mad and i would have said something but not in a rude way

I avoided this problem, the trick is to not invite a lot of people.

[quote="Brendan_McCabe, post:3, topic:240515"]
I avoided this problem, the trick is to not invite a lot of people.

[/quote]

yes i know this rule however you can't avoid your family :):):)

In my experience, people will complain about everything if you let them. Because to not complain is to trustfully surrender all to God, His perfect Will, and His perfect timing. I don't know a lot of people like that although I aspire to be the first in my neighborhood. I can't beee-lieeeve they could complain about the little ones bringing them cake!! That goes in the "Too bad:whistle:" column. At my work, EVERYONE complains about the weather. It's too hot, too cold, they don't like rain, heat, muggy, dry, snow, ice, storms, lightening... really anything that's not 72 degrees and sunny with a gentle breeze. BO-RING! I like variety. When the weather's inclement - I say: Well, the Good Lord felt we needed it, so it's okay with me. Or: I don't make the weather, you'll have to take that one up with the Almighty. Or: I like it (which drives people nuts!) or: I never knew complaining about it to have ever changed it...:):amen: But seriously, who in their right mind could complain at a WEDDING!? Free food, love and forever in the air. Everyone all gussied up. Fun music, (Hopefully) the Sacraments. What's not to love??? I'm with you!:thumbsup:

the trick is to already know who those people are and not invite them (easy to do if they are relatives, harder if they are only friends). Then they will still complain about not being invited but not at your $50 a pop for their meal and entertainment. srsly you don’t “do” anything about ignorance. like laziness, it is an incurable inherited disorder.

[quote="cristyd, post:1, topic:240515"]
What do you do about the wedding complainers? Please tell us so we can have some fun.

[/quote]

If someone complains at your wedding, simply say, "I am so sorry to have given you an unpleasant time. I will definitely never do so again."

I went to a wedding recently, I barely knew her but she worked with my boyfriend - so I was invited too as his +1.

It was really small, only close friends and family. I did complain in front of my boyfriend and one of the bride's friend - but with good reason. Outside of the Church was a massive field of mud. The path was about the width of one average man, and the only place the cars could park was in the mud. I got very muddy shoes. :( the bride ended up with mud on her dress and shoes too, so it did happen to everyone.

I was sure to compliment her on her dress anyway and the Church itself was a beautiful, small, Anglican one in a village. Just too close to the farmlands for me!

[quote="karow, post:7, topic:240515"]
If someone complains at your wedding, simply say, "I am so sorry to have given you an unpleasant time. I will definitely never do so again."

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote="karow, post:7, topic:240515"]
if someone complains at your wedding, simply say, "i am so sorry to have given you an unpleasant time. I will definitely never do so again."

[/quote]

love it!!!!

My brother married an Italian girl, and her family went all-out on the wedding. I had been to the engagement so I was somewhat prepared for it, but still... There were about seven courses, each one better than the last. I had the smallest amount from each one, but still could only manage the first three! Missed out on the seafood completely due to extremely full stomach!

One of the older Italian ladies complained to the mother of the bride that there wasn't enough food.

When asked if she had been left hungry, she replied that she had eaten well enough, but they should have provided more food to create the impression of abundance.

I was speechless.

Every wedding has its positives and negatives. I've only been to two weddings - I'll be going to a third next month. The most recent one I went to was lovely. The ceremony was beautiful and obviously full of meaning for the couple with some unique touches. The couple really made an effort to include everyone. The reception venue was wonderfully rustic. There were some things that were odd, like the cake was funfetti, and there was no dancing or drinking, but I didn't mind that. The only thing that I could and did complain about to only my family I'd come with after we left was the food. It made me really sick so that I had to leave for a bit, get some fresh air for about 15 min before I could sit comfortably again. On my way back, walking around the back of the lodge, I saw that it was catered by a fast food joint, and a bad regional one at that (think Popeyes). Sometimes a complaint is legit. It wouldn't have been legit for me to complain about it at the wedding or to the couple or the parents, but afterward, fine, right?

[quote="ThatKrazyPagan, post:12, topic:240515"]
Every wedding has its positives and negatives. I've only been to two weddings - I'll be going to a third next month. The most recent one I went to was lovely. The ceremony was beautiful and obviously full of meaning for the couple with some unique touches. The couple really made an effort to include everyone. The reception venue was wonderfully rustic. There were some things that were odd, like the cake was funfetti, and there was no dancing or drinking, but I didn't mind that. The only thing that I could and did complain about to only my family I'd come with after we left was the food. It made me really sick so that I had to leave for a bit, get some fresh air for about 15 min before I could sit comfortably again. On my way back, walking around the back of the lodge, I saw that it was catered by a fast food joint, and a bad regional one at that (think Popeyes). Sometimes a complaint is legit. It wouldn't have been legit for me to complain about it at the wedding or to the couple or the parents, but afterward, fine, right?

[/quote]

Not right. I think charity requires us to assume that the bride and groom did their utmost to provide their family and friends with a charming and pleasant wedding that was within their financial means, without them resorting to robbing a bank or bankrupting their parents/friends in order to pay for their nuptials. We also have to assume that it was not the wedding couple's intentions to sicken their guests, regardless of who they chose to cater their reception. While it's unfortunate that the food that was served disagreed with you, I'd advise you not to mention it during or after the reception, to anyone. Word will get back to the couple, I assure you, and it will only create bad feelings. Should anyone ask you why you were absent for an extended period of time at the reception, simply tell them you needed time away from the festivities for some fresh air.

My nephew is getting married in a few months and my only complaint/snicker is that his bride-to-be wants to wait 2 years before having a family so that they can have time together (as if the past four years that included plenty of vacations together didn't count) and that she got her dog a dress to match the bridesmaids' dresses.:eek:

[quote="gmarie21, post:14, topic:240515"]
My nephew is getting married in a few months and my only complaint/snicker is that his bride-to-be wants to wait 2 years before having a family so that they can have time together (as if the past four years that included plenty of vacations together didn't count) and that she got her dog a dress to match the bridesmaids' dresses.:eek:

[/quote]

And that didn't set off your nephew's alarm bells? :shrug:

[quote="gmarie21, post:14, topic:240515"]

[/quote]

Is the dog going to be on the altar as a "bridesmaid?" LOL oops I just realized that I assumed this was a church wedding...it very well may not be! I have seen dogs participating in wedding services, but not in church to my knowledge. :confused::eek:

I hear complaints from priests and other fellow musicians as a hired musician for weddings and then I also hear it from those who were guests.

If it's the former, it's usually because of having to deal with a bride or mother of the bride complaining and throwing a fit about not being allowed to have a secular piece of music done for the nuptial mass or insisting on doing the Unity Candle even after the pastor says, "No". Other complaints will be because of very demanding brides or mothers of the brides.

When I hear complaints from guests, whether or not I am also a guest at the same wedding or just hearing about it from a relative or friend, some of the complaints are legitimate and some are just petty, picky, or a matter of personal taste. The complaints from guests I dislike the most are the ones when the complainers disparage the couple or the parents of the bride for having a "cheap" wedding. To me, I just think that's wrong. Sure, maybe the food wasn't the best, the venue was ugly or the decor was tacky, whatever, but that's what the couple wanted OR was what they could afford, so why complain about it?

Some of the biggest complaints I experienced were from older people. They seem to be the biggest nitpickers and are really into complaining about the food - usually either the quality of the food or the lack of abundance in food. They seem to think if there is a lack of abundance, it's a slight towards the guests as if the couple doesn't care about them and only care about the gifts they will get.

You know what's weird, though, I've found with my generation, it was the men who were recently married that seemed the cattiest in regards to other people's marriages. My husband was the exception. He's so easy-going about things like this. But some of his friends or friends of the bride/groom... Whoa!!! I remember sitting at the tables with them during receptions and these guys would be nitpicking the wedding and then comparing it to their own recent weddings. I don't know if it was to make their wives feel good about their own choices in regards to their wedding, but it was pretty weird. I thought most men didn't care about wedding details.

I remember going to a wedding and the couple had the most fantastic idea in my opinion. Each table could sit 4 couples. So at each table was a couple from the groom’s family, a couple from the bride’s family a couple from the groom’s friend and a couple from the bride’s friends. The idea was to get every one to mingle. After the meal, people could get up dance and sit where they wanted.

Well… on the way out, the bride’s close friends told her straight to her face that was a bad idea because they did not appreciate eating with strangers (even though their spouses were sitting right beside them). I guess I lucked out because I had a great time at my table and I was without a date and fit right in.

But I must admit, I have done my fair share of complaining at weddings. Mainly because I tend not to like going to them and usually end up going when I don’t really want to. Also, if a single person complains, it could be an indirect way of sending a message to their date they have no intention of being married OR an inderect message at what they want at their wedding hint hint

If a married couple complains, maybe it is jealously that this couple has a fresh start and their hope and dreams did not materialize as they would have wished.

And lastly, if an older man complains, I’ll assume he is picking up the tab :smiley:

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:16, topic:240515"]
Is the dog going to be on the altar as a "bridesmaid?" LOL oops I just realized that I assumed this was a church wedding...it very well may not be! I have seen dogs participating in wedding services, but not in church to my knowledge. :confused::eek:/QUOTE

If the dog was "invited" to the wedding, I hope she (the dog) has the opportunity to invite someone to accompany her. After all, it's only fair!

[/quote]

I've been to plenty of weddings that ranged from a backyard BBQ to the finest shindig at the fanciest of Country Clubs. The amount of fun, and the loveliness of the ceremonies, has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of money spent, IMHO.

I've been to some stinkers, but NEVER in a million years, would I complain AT THE EVENT. I can't imagine anything more rude. A day that is so special in the couple's life, and I'm going to rain on the parade? No way! I've thought a few not-so-nice things, but never said anything out loud....at least not until hubby and I were in the car, on the way home!

If anyone complained at our wedding, I don't know about it. Frankly, I don't care. We invited you to our wedding and reception. You should be honored. Didn't like the food? Tough noogies, get a burger on the way home! Think the music is too loud? There's the door.

If I overheard someone complaining at someone else's, I'm not sure I could resist saying "Look how happy and in love they are! What an honor and a privilege to be here on their big day! And, hey, if you're not eating that cake, can I have it? It's awesome!"

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.