Wedding couples rush for 666 date

The 6/6/6 mania has started:

**Wedding couples rush for 666 date
**Officials notice ‘sinister’ surge in June 6 bookings to tie knot
Posted: January 4, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern
© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

While June is traditionally a popular month for marriage ceremonies worldwide, officials in the Netherlands are noticing an unusual number of couples setting their wedding date for June 6, 2006, giving them an anniversary of 666, a number often associated with an end-time beast power of the Bible.

June 6 this year falls on a Tuesday, which is usually less busy for weddings than Saturdays and Sundays.

Full Story

This could go in multiple forums, but I decided to put it here. Feel free to move it.

PF

My husband and I had our marriage blessed on Friday, the 13th of June. When I called his ex-wife to make arrangements to have my stepdaughter there, his ex made a comment about we shouldn’t have it on Friday the 13th. I told her we are superstitious and even if we were, God has more clout than Friday the 13. However, I must admit that I would avoid the 6/6/06 date just on principle. That would be just a little too much. But, obviously, some people see it differently.

we have a granddaughter who will be celebrating a milestone birthday on that date, and is already tired of the sick jokes about it

Actually the date is 6/6/2006, so it is in no way the number some people think it might be. Even in short hand it is 6/6/06. Not 666.

Just superstition.

[quote=ByzCath]Actually the date is 6/6/2006, so it is in no way the number some people think it might be. Even in short hand it is 6/6/06. Not 666.

Just superstition.
[/quote]

If you write it in Chinese style it’s 2006-6-6 yy/mm/dd

[quote=abcdefg]If you write it in Chinese style it’s 2006-6-6 yy/mm/dd
[/quote]

Hmmm, I did not know that.

Now was I writing in the style we use in America, 06/06/2006 (dd/mm/yyyy) or was I writing in the style used in Europe, 06/06/2006 (mm/dd/yyyy)?

Associating the giving of your life to another in marriage with the devil, the father of sin, especially pride… isn’t that a beautiful way to celebrate your love for your spouse! :ehh:

I wonder what these people are thinking, if they are at all. Someone should check the statistics on the divorce rate sometime in the future. I bet there’d be a visible spike linked to people married on that date.

God bless,

Agricola

Wasn’t there a news report about a year ago that the number of the beast is actually 616, and that 666 was a misinterpretation?

[quote=Guar Fan]Wasn’t there a news report about a year ago that the number of the beast is actually 616, and that 666 was a misinterpretation?
[/quote]

Something like that. Probably belongs in the Scripture forum though.

[quote=gilliam]Something like that. Probably belongs in the Scripture forum though.
[/quote]

You can also find it in the current issue of The Catholic Answer magazine (I just read about it in there today).

I think some people are trying to be coy about the date and setting their marriage. One of those “I did it because I thought it was neat.” instead of really thinking about a date. And I’m sure some are doing it because it’s the only day/date available (little stretch of the imagination seeing how it’s a Tuesday though)… my DH and I were given two dates in January and we had to pick one as those were the only two that were available, that matched our ministers’ calendar, etc.

[quote=Guar Fan]Wasn’t there a news report about a year ago that the number of the beast is actually 616, and that 666 was a misinterpretation?
[/quote]

Ah, yes. That’ll be tomorrow then, in Europe at least :wink:

Mike

[quote=ByzCath]Hmmm, I did not know that.

Now was I writing in the style we use in America, 06/06/2006 (dd/mm/yyyy) or was I writing in the style used in Europe, 06/06/2006 (mm/dd/yyyy)?
[/quote]

That is true, but the end of the word types, satanists, and others will use any excuse to celebrate 666 in any form.:frowning:

PF

At least next year we can get a lucky 777 wedding :stuck_out_tongue:

This “666” thing is pure superstition and nothing more. I work at a hardware. and sometimes the customers bill will be $6.66, and they’ll say “I’d better watch out for the devil today.” Actually we should watch for him everyday, not just once in a while.

[quote=davy39]This “666” thing is pure superstition and nothing more. I work at a hardware. and sometimes the customers bill will be $6.66, and they’ll say “I’d better watch out for the devil today.” Actually we should watch for him everyday, not just once in a while.
[/quote]

I guess 666 is a lucky number for him, at least he’s more unlikely to be carried away by Satan that day

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.