Wedding feast of the Lamb?

Considering the below from Revelation, who does the Lamb marry, if not the CC?

The CC teaches the Church is the Bride of Christ.

Thank you,

Mike

Rev 19 5-10
The Victory Song.*
5 A voice coming from the throne said:

“Praise our God, all you his servants,

[and] you who revere him, small and great.”c

6 Then I heard something like the sound of a great multitude or the sound of rushing water or mighty peals of thunder, as they said:

“Alleluia!

The Lord has established his reign,

[our] God, the almighty.

7 Let us rejoice and be glad

and give him glory.

For the wedding day of the Lamb* has come,

his bride has made herself ready.d

8 She was allowed to wear

a bright, clean linen garment.”e

(The linen represents the righteous deeds of the holy ones.)*

9 Then the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed* are those who have been called to the wedding feast of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These words are true; they come from God.”f
10 I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “Don’t! I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brothers who bear witness to Jesus. Worship God.g Witness to Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”

source [usccb.org/bible/revelation/19](http://www.usccb.org/bible/revelation/19)

Did someone tell you that the Church was not the bride of Christ?

Protestants also teach that the church is the Bride of Christ.

When did protestants start teaching the church was the Bride of Christ? Just asking.

MJ

We’ve always taught it, as far as I know.

O Bride of Christ, Rejoice
By unknown Danish Author c.1600
Translated by: Victor O. Petersen - 1899

O bride of Christ, rejoice;
Exultant raise your voice.
Now comes the King, who glorious
Reigns over all victorious.
Hosanna! Now adore him,
Our king; we bow before him!

Let shouts of gladness rise
Triumphant to the skies.
The King who comes in meekness
Is strong to heal our weakness.
Hosanna! Now adore him,

Your heart now open wide;
Bid Christ with you abide.
He graciously will hear you
And be forever near you.
Hosanna! Now adore him,

Hymn #20 from Lutheran Worship
Composer: K.Stieler
Tune: Wie Soll Ich Fliehen Hin
1st Published in: Neunberg
Town: 1679

See this example from LifeWay Christian Resources (owned by the Southern Baptists): Being the Bride of Christ: How You Can Relate. Also, there is this from gotquestions.org (which describes itself as “Christian, Protestant, conservative, evangelical, fundamental, and non-denominational”): “What does it mean that the church is the bride of Christ?”

1600? Hmmm. Ok.

I thought around 70 AD

MJ

Only in the Mass can we fully understand the wedding feast of the Lamb, especially the Book of Revelation. Scott Hahn has an excellent book about this topic, how the Mass opens up and explains much of Revelation.

It’s not by accident that the altar at St. Peter’s, with the baldachino over the altar, is made to look like the marriage bed.

The purpose of the Bible, why it was canonized in the first place, was to make sure the Mass was uniform throughout the Church. The Bible is a Catholic liturgical book.

Hi Pianistclare,

Nope, another thread motivated me to read revelation yesterday, and this subject was something that stuck out to me as a possible discussion point.

So, I thought I’d plant a seed of thought here and see if / how it grows.

Take care,

Mike

zz912,

You win the name game!

It was Scott Hahn who was thrust into his conversion process by sitting in Mass one day, I want to say at Vanderbilt U. (could be wrong) to evaluate the Mass.

Take care,

Mike

Hi Itwin,

I appreciate your response.

To your first line - MJ asked a great follow-up.

From the CCC -
"795 Christ and his Church thus together make up the “whole Christ” (Christus totus). The Church is one with Christ. The saints are acutely aware of this unity: (695, 1474)

Let us rejoice then and give thanks that we have become not only Christians, but Christ himself. Do you understand and grasp, brethren, God’s grace toward us? Marvel and rejoice: we have become Christ. For if he is the head, we are the members; he and we together are the whole man… The fullness of Christ then is the head and the members. But what does “head and members” mean? Christ and the Church.230

Our redeemer has shown himself to be one person with the holy Church whom he has taken to himself.231

Head and members form as it were one and the same mystical person."

In reading the two links from Itwin, both have a similar ‘believers are the bride of Christ’. "

So our food for thought - Are ‘members’ the same as ‘believers’?

and - both links are suggesting a ‘waiting period’.

The problem I have with a waiting period is here -
Rev 21 5-6
5 The one who sat on the throne* said, “Behold, I make all things new.” Then he said, “Write these words down, for they are trustworthy and true.”e
6He said to me, *“They are accomplished. **I [am] the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give a gift from the spring of life-giving water.f

The note and source (usccb.org/bible/revelation/21) on the bold:

• [21:6] They are accomplished: God’s reign has already begun; see note on Rev 20:1–6. Alpha…Omega: see note on Rev 1:8. Life-giving water: see note on Rev 7:17.

Note on Rev 20 1-6: source - usccb.org/bible/rev/20:1

• [20:1–6] Like the other numerical values in this book, the thousand years are not to be taken literally; they symbolize the long period of time between the chaining up of Satan (a symbol for Christ’s resurrection-victory over death and the forces of evil) and the end of the world. During this time God’s people share in the glorious reign of God that is present to them by virtue of their baptismal victory over death and sin; cf. Rom 6:1–8; Jn 5:24–25; 16:33; 1 Jn 3:14; Eph 2:1.

It seems if we can share in the glorious reign of God now, the wedding occurred and there is a feast somewhere…

Take care,

Mike

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.