wedding invitation wording

Greetings!
New to this site and not sure if this question belongs here or in the Apologist forum.
My fiance and I are getting married in late December. We are researching correct format and appropriateness and/or fear of redundancy on our wedding invitation. We are looking for definitive sources (and/or knowledgeable opinions) of the following.

together with our children
the honour of your presence is requested
at the Nuptial Mass of
Kristine
and
Joe
as we are united in the
Sacrament of Holy Matrimony
on...
at... two o'clock
eve of the Feast of The Holy Family
blah blah blah

Ubi Caritas et amor, Deus ibi est

No help from me but my daughter is getting married in April so I look forward to the answers to your question.

It looks as though you and your fiance along with your respective children are hosting the wedding, rather than your parents, so it would be worded as below:

Kristine (Last Name) and Joe (Last Name)
together with their children
request the honour of your presence
as they are united in the
on (date)
at (time)
(Name and address of Church)

Note that I have changed yours format from the passive voice (... is requested...) to active voice (& request....)

[quote="juno24, post:3, topic:301077"]
It looks as though you and your fiance along with your respective children are hosting the wedding, rather than your parents, so it would be worded as below:

as they are united in the
on (date)
at (time)

Note that I have changed yours format from the passive voice (... is requested...) to active voice (& request....)

[/quote]

i agree with the changes, however since the OP mentions it will be a nuptial mass, I would phrase it:

at the Nuptial Mass uniting them in the
on (date)
at (time)

Hi - thanks to those who have responded.
My fiance and I are the hosts.
We include our (semi/adult) children in the invitation because
they are our wedding party and we want to emphasize the
unity of our families.

passive to active.. excellent yes. thank you :D :thumbsup:

and it is a nuptial mass - thanks "1ke" .. nice phrasing. I knew it was in there somewhere. Just been looking at it for to long. Needed a fresh pair of eyes. :eek:

The nuptial mass doesn't unite you.

[quote="agapewolf, post:6, topic:301077"]
The nuptial mass doesn't unite you.

[/quote]

You are correct.
We confer the sacrament on each other.
The nuptial mass indicates a 'type' of mass - ie Roman Catholic wedding mass as far as my understanding goes.

[quote="joeandkristine, post:7, topic:301077"]
You are correct.
We confer the sacrament on each other.
The nuptial mass indicates a 'type' of mass - ie Roman Catholic wedding mass as far as my understanding goes.

[/quote]

One of the suggestions above said the invite should say "the nuptial mass uniting ....."

My point is, the nuptial mass doesnt' actual unite the couple, so that would be inaccurate.

[quote="agapewolf, post:8, topic:301077"]
One of the suggestions above said the invite should say "the nuptial mass uniting ....."

My point is, the nuptial mass doesnt' actual unite the couple, so that would be inaccurate.

[/quote]

That is very true, but most people don't invite people to witness the consummation.

[quote="maryjk, post:9, topic:301077"]
That is very true, but most people don't invite people to witness the consummation.

[/quote]

No, but think about it in preconciliar times: the marriage ceremonies was complete, then the Mass began. While the two are very related and tied to each other, the wedding does not need the Mass, and vice versa.

[quote="maryjk, post:9, topic:301077"]

[/quote]

I have no idea why you said this???

The wedding vows unite the coupe I marriage (the consummation makes it indisoluable) . The mass is offered for the couple.

The mass does not unite the couple.

[quote="joeandkristine, post:5, topic:301077"]
Hi - thanks to those who have responded.

[/quote]

You're welcome. And I completely forgot my manners. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and welcome to CAF!

Constructive criticism may, in some circumstances, be helpful. I believe it would more helpful to offer a suitable alternative. May be this might help:

at the Nuptial Mass during with they will be united in the
on (date)
at (time)

The honour of your presence is requested
at the Nuptial Mass uniting
Bride
and
Groom
Day, the date of month
etc.

Perhaps this? It's adapted from Emily Post's Etiquette, latest edition. It uses the passive voice.

Here is ours:

Such'n'Such
and
So'n'So
together with their parents
request the honor of your presence
at the celebration of their Nuptial Mass
on (day), the (date) of (month)
at (time) in the afternoon
Church (full name spelled out)
number and street
city, state

That raises two issues previously discussed. First, whether the passive voice should be used. It’s hard for me to comment on that. Current English usage in UK prefers the use of the active voice. Current styles in US may be different. The second issue revolves around the technicality of whether they are united by the sacrament of Holy Matrimony or the Nuptial Mass. Of course, it is the former but I doubt very much if this would be of much concern to any invitees. I don’t think we’ve ever assessed the English or other aspects of any wedding invitation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.