Wedding liturgy - Please help me

Dear friends,

It's been quite a while since I last posted here, and I really need your help with something. First some background info: coming August I'm very lucky to get married. We will get married in the Netherlands, because that's where we both live. However, because we have family from abroad, the Mass will be held in English.

My fiancée and I have prepared the liturgy of the Mass based on the Dutch instructions we've received from our priest, but we could have made some mistakes.

So my first question is (and I know it will take some time): can anyone who has a lot of knowledge on the liturgy proofread the document we have made so far? It's attached as a PDF file.

My second question: as the wedding will be held on August 15, which is the Assumption of Mary, can we choose the readings ourselves or are they fixed?

Thank you so much for helping us out. We want the Mass to be the most important part of our day and therefore to be perfect.

Kind regards,

Christian

There are a number of errors here. In some places you have used the correct current English translations of the Roman Missal, such as on the Confiteor. But in many other places, you have used the translation that was suppressed two years ago. This is most evident in the response And also with you, which is no longer used. It should be And with your spirit. This appears repeatedly throughout the Mass texts, including the the offertory prayers of the priest, the *Orate, fratres *(Pray, brethren), the entire Eucharistic prayer and the *Agnus Dei *(Lamb of God), Also, there is no exclamation point after Thanks be to God anywhere in the Mass.

1. That's an old translation. see: old.usccb.org/romanmissal/order-of-mass.pdf

2. Because the wedding will be on the Assumption, the Mass must be that of the Assumption. See: mbreal23.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/roman_missal_third_edition.pdf p. 928-930. That means all the prayers must be the ones for the Assumption. You can change one of the readings only. Which one is up to you.

3. There is no "David reads prepared text," in any Introductory Rite.

4. I assume you want offertory music, in which case the offertory prayers (#17) are not said aloud and the people do not respond with "Blessed be God forever."

5. Though I've seen it done, there is no "unity candle" in the Catholic nuptial rite.

Dear Johnmann and Chatter163,

Thanks for your quick replies. I had a look at the links you sent me. Very good. I had heard about the English Mass being changed now you mention it.

Johnmann, the comment you made in your second point is clear. However, in the document (mbreal23.files.wordpress.com/...rd_edition.pdf) I can't find the readings you mention. And where does it say you can change one of the readings?

Thanks!

[quote="SaintChristian, post:4, topic:350550"]
Johnmann, the comment you made in your second point is clear. However, in the document (mbreal23.files.wordpress.com/...rd_edition.pdf) I can't find the readings you mention. And where does it say you can change one of the readings?

Thanks!

[/quote]

The Missal pdf I linked to has the priest's prayers for the Assumption, not the readings. The readings can be found here: usccb.org/bible/readings/081514-day-mass.cfm

Since I've been trying to write up my own Nuptial Mass program, I'll offer you some of the things that I have found. In my own program for the sake of space I omitted the full text of a lot of the prayers and just put a few dots and words explaining what the priest is praying. For me it was more important to include the full text whenever a response was necessary and for the music (which is all in Latin). Anyway:

You've obviously have already been informed that you're using the old missal, so I won't comment on that.

The Penitential Act is omitted from a Nuptial Mass. It's debatable whether the Kyrie is omitted (you'd have to ask your priest). The Order of the Mass states that the Penitential Act is omitted, but doesn't say anything about the Kyrie (see my thread about this very topic in this subforum).

The Nicene Creed is also omitted from a Nuptial Mass.

I'm not sure that since it's a feast day, whether the Penitential Act and/or Nicene Creed would be included. I'm also not sure whether it being a Friday has any bearing on whether the Penitential Act is used. However, typically for Nuptial Masses, both are omitted.

The "Blessed be God for ever!" parts of the offertory are omitted (at least audibly) if you are having music during the offertory.

The "Deliver us, Lord" and "For the kingdom" are omitted in the Nuptial Mass. Instead a Nuptial Blessing is offered (which you currently have after the sign of peace).

"Lord Jesus Christ, you said to your apostles" is omitted and instead the priest skips straight to "The Peace of the Lord be with you always."

Unity candle, poem/speech by family/friend, and visitation of Mary are not part of the rubrics. If you wish to include them, be sure it's OK with the priest. You can always do the visitation of Mary after the Mass rather than during it.

BTW, an example of what I mentioned in my last post about just putting a portion of what the priest says... here's an example

P: It is truly right and just, our duty and our salvation...
[The priest, in the name of all the people of God, offers praise and gratitude to God the Father for the whole work of redemption]

[quote="GangGreen, post:6, topic:350550"]
I'm not sure that since it's a feast day, whether the Penitential Act and/or Nicene Creed would be included.

[/quote]

Both would be included.

[quote="GangGreen, post:6, topic:350550"]
Unity candle, poem/speech by family/friend, and visitation of Mary are not part of the rubrics. If you wish to include them, be sure it's OK with the priest. You can always do the visitation of Mary after the Mass rather than during it.

[/quote]

One could argue that the period after Communion is a time for private prayer during which the presentation of flowers to Mary can be appropriate. And one could also argue that a family member or friend can speak during the announcements so a poem or speech can be made then. I really can't find anywhere to stick the unity candle unless the couple does it silently on their own without the participation of the celebrant.

If it were my wedding, it'd have only the presentation of the flowers to Mary and it would be done immediately following the dismissal. Skip the unity candle and save the poem/speech for the reception.

What's wrong with having a unity candle at a nuptial Mass?

From the Catholic Answers Apologists.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.