Wedding Mass Question

When I get married I would like a Traditional Latin Mass, but I would also like to get married in my parish. There is an ICK parish several miles away---is it ok to ask a priest from there to come to my parish? This would involve "importing" altar servers too as our barely handle English properly.

[quote="Elisabeth51, post:1, topic:294970"]
When I get married I would like a Traditional Latin Mass, but I would also like to get married in my parish. There is an ICK parish several miles away---is it ok to ask a priest from there to come to my parish? This would involve "importing" altar servers too as our barely handle English properly.

[/quote]

You can ask, and the pastor of the parish would have to approve. Depending on your parish, it might just be easier to have the Mass at the ICK Parish. The ICK Parish will be set up for the TLM and all the stuff that's needed for it is already there. Have you discussed this with your priest? Canon law requires various permissions in these situations.

[quote="Elisabeth51, post:1, topic:294970"]

[/quote]

Sorry to sound negative, but I think it's in very poor taste to ask a IKC or FSSP priest to come officiate over your nuptials at your own parish just because you want a certain kind of wedding when you don't attend the EF as a regualr. In fact, I don't know if your current pastor would allow it, since it's not like the other priest is your brother, uncle, or other close relative or dear family friend. If you feel that strongly about an EF Mass as your nuptial Mass, then start attending the IKC parish and get married there.

[quote="LightBound, post:3, topic:294970"]
Sorry to sound negative, but I think it's in very poor taste to ask a IKC or FSSP priest to come officiate over your nuptials at your own parish just because you want a certain kind of wedding when you don't attend the EF as a regualr. In fact, I don't know if your current pastor would allow it, since it's not like the other priest is your brother, uncle, or other close relative or dear family friend. If you feel that strongly about an EF Mass as your nuptial Mass, then start attending the IKC parish and get married there.

[/quote]

I wish I could, I don't have the gas money to get there though, barely get to my own parish and work most of the time. Plenty of time to decide on these things, just trying to get an idea of what is ok, possible, etc. Thanks :)

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:2, topic:294970"]
You can ask, and the pastor of the parish would have to approve. Depending on your parish, it might just be easier to have the Mass at the ICK Parish. The ICK Parish will be set up for the TLM and all the stuff that's needed for it is already there. Have you discussed this with your priest? Canon law requires various permissions in these situations.

[/quote]

Not yet, just thinking at this point. I can see that though. Thanks.

If you aren't a member of the ICK church, the priests probably won't agree to it. However, I don't think it is necessarily required for you to attend there every Sunday in order to join the community. The ICK group in St. Louis is not a parish but a religious community that worships in an oratory. All members of the group are required to be registered members of their home parish if they wish to join the community. If they wish to be married by the ICK priests, they have to obtain permission from their parish priest and sometimes the parish priest will co-celebrate. I've never heard of the ICK priest celebrating a wedding at another church though. I think you should email the ICK church and find out what the specifics of their situation is and what you need to do. Another option would be to look for a parish that does both Masses and request to have the wedding there or request the priest that does the EF Mass to co-celebrate at your parish. Good luck!

I also remembered another thing which may or may not play a factor in whether or not a priest from a traditional order will simply agree to celebrate your marriage. Priests from traditional orders don't do marriage prep the same way it's done at most parishes, where the couple attends a weekend marriage prep course, but rather individual one-on-one prep with the priest. They may not be willing to officiate based on the grounds of not being sufficiently convinced you are prepared for marriage.

This is really something that needs to be discussed with the priest(s), I am not familiar with the ICK, but rather the FSSP., and I know their priests are already over-worked taking care of their own flock.

[quote="LightBound, post:3, topic:294970"]

[/quote]

I don't find it in poor taste at all, assuming the pastor is not capable of celebrating the EF. Even though I don't attend frequently, I would love to have mine in the EF if it worked out.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.