Wedding on Easter?

I just got a “Save the Date” card for a Catholic wedding on April 20, 2014. If I’m not mistaken, that is Easter Sunday.

Can one celebrate the sacrament of marriage on Easter Sunday? If it’s allowed, would there be anything wrong with me attending? It seems strange to attend a wedding instead of just celebrating Easter on that day.

Maybe this Catholic couple has a beautiful reason they chose Easter for their wedding.

Since they sent you the “invitation”, contact them with your congratulations and ask in a kind way about the beauty behind choosing Easter for their wedding. Maybe their reason will take away the “strange” feeling you have.

God bless the priest or deacon who is doing the wedding on that day. That’s gonna be a busy day. Whomever it is, they are an extremely hard worker, or a masochist, one or the other.

-Tim-

I thought wedding were not allowed during certain times of the year, like Advent, Christmas, Lent, and Easter. A dispensation could change things though…please correct me if I’m wrong. :shrug:

Weddings on Easter? I didn’t think they, nor weddings on Holy Week, were allowed due to the nature of the season.

It’s not proscribed by the Church, if I recall correctly. However, on a diocese-by-diocese basis, it may be prohibited. In my diocese (again, IIRC), weddings are not permitted on Sundays or solemnities…

There are restrictions on when a Ritual Mass may be celebrated, but not when a marriage may occur per se, so if there is a wedding within Mass it would use the readings, prayers, etc for the Easter Mass.

If it is just the Marriage Rite outside Mass then it could use the wedding readings and prayers.

It is an odd time for a wedding though, typically priests are very busy during the Triduum and reluctant to add extra duties to themselves or their deacons.

I knew that weddings during Lent weren’t permitted, Easter Sunday seems a bit irreverent.

There is nothing in current universal Church law that prohibits weddings during Lent.

I have friends that were married on Easter. Well the night before Easter. :smiley:

Yep, at the Vigil.

She was Catholic. He wasn’t. They were originally married by a judge.

At the Vigil he was Baptized, Confirmed and he received his 1st Communion. They were then married.

I believe at one time there were restrictions on times when marriages could be celebrated. Without going to check I won’t stand 100% behind that statement.

I think the only restrictions now would be Good Friday and Holy Saturday but sacraments are generally prohibited on these two days. A marriage can be celebrated on Easter Sunday.

I’m more surprised that a priest has decided to make his Easter schedule even more challenging by having a marriage on Easter Sunday.

The couple will benefit from two things: white is both the colour for Easter and marriage. The church should also be decorated with flowers. What cannot happen is the nuptial ritual Mass. The orations, lections and chants will have to be those of Easter Sunday iteself.

If they’re getting married Easter Sunday, that’s not during Lent…IIRC, Lent ends when Easter begins.

I think there used to be a rule that one could not marry in Lent without a dispensation, I think the rule was changed but I’m not certain when.

So I see. Perhaps it is only in my diocese. Still, the wedding day revolves around the couple, it seems like the worst possible time to hold a wedding on the holiest day of the year. I doubt they will later remember that date because of Easter.

Lent ends on the day before Holy Thursday.

They may just celebrate every Easter. I think having on the holiest day may help people remember that God should be right smack in the middle of the marriage. The wedding isn’t (just) a show with the bride and groom as the stars
I can see why a parish might not want to do this with the business of Easter but if they have a priest willing and the church is willing I think it would be a beautiful day to get married. I do think that for the Mass the prayers and readings would be for Easter but that would be fine with me

We did have a family a number of years ago that between them all there were baptisms confirmations , first communions and the parents married in the Church. (I think one had been raised Catholic so there was a homecoming and more members added to the church) That was a quick saying of their vows and the special blessings

You could say that about anything, though. Everything has it’s proper place. I didn’t say that the wedding is a show, I said it is all about the bride and groom. No other day would they have trouble getting to sleep the night before, wake up in the very early hours of the morning to tend to their appearance for hours, work to make sure everything will go smoothly, go to the service, go for a very lengthy feast with speeches given about themselves, be the main attraction for a dance, stay for a drink then head to bed in the early hours of the next morning.

A wedding is hectic, it is totally focused around the bride and groom. This isn’t a bad thing in and of itself, this is just how weddings are, but to be done on a day when “the faithful are bound to abstain from those labors and business concerns which impede the worship to be rendered to God, the joy which is proper to the Lord’s Day, or the proper relaxation of mind and body” (ccc 2193) is just a completely improper time.

Put it this way, it would be a fault for them to ever say “remember our special day” with the wedding on this day. It really could have been any other day of the year.

Obviously the Church does not agree with you; otherwise, marriage would be prohibited on Easter Day.

The couple will not celebrate their anniversaries on Easter Day. Wedding anniversaries are on the date; therefore, the couple in question will celebrate the wedding anniversaries on 20th April.

I would ask them nicely why they chose that date and respect it. Obliviously, they what to have their wedding on Easter and they got it. God bless that priest:rolleyes:

Only if they want it to be.

If they are like me, they could have a small wedding. Maybe 25 people. A small gathering after. A simple day, celebrating the start of the rest of their lives.

Maybe this couple sees the marriage as important, rather than like most couples who seem to focus on the wedding.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.