My wife and I were married 15 years ago. About 5 years into our marriage, she developed an allergy to the gold in the ring. We did not believe it at first, because we thought that gold was hypo-allergenic. Turns out, it is possible to develop a reaction to it. Bottom line, she cannot wear her actual wedding ring (the one that was given to her during the sacrament of marriage).
I am now in a position to get her a new one. I was wondering if anyone could give input on whether it is okay to get rid of the old one. I thought, perhaps I would have the stones removed and set in another ring, then sell the gold to a jeweler. There are all kinds of alternatives, but they all deal with getting rid of the original ring that the priest blessed during the sacrament of marriage. The only other alternative is to keep it, and never wear it. This seems so wasteful.