wedding

i am in need of help. I am soon to marry a catholic girl, i myslf am a protestant. There apparently is some course that i have to attend to actually get married in a catholic church. Is there anybody from the uk that knows about this?

[quote=davros_5]i am in need of help. I am soon to marry a catholic girl, i myslf am a protestant. There apparently is some course that i have to attend to actually get married in a catholic church. Is there anybody from the uk that knows about this?
[/quote]

Hello my UK Brother. The course is not just for a Catholic/Protestant mix, but for all who want to marry in the Church. The courses (Marriage Prep) askes the tough questions that we may be avoiding at the start of a relationship. I encourage you and your financee to go with an open heart and mind. The tough part will be when they come to you and ask two questions:

1. Will you allow your wife to continue to practice your faith?
  2. Will you Baptize and raise the children Catholic?

If you can say “YES” to both, then you should not have any problems.

God Bless,
DHGray

I’m in the same boat as you. My fiance and I have to go on a weekend retreat through the diocese. That’s all we were told we had to do since I’m Protestant.

Your fiancee must also request a dispensation to marry a non-Catholic, which will be taken care of by the deacon or priest who prepares you for marriage. You may also take a class over several evenings or on a retreat weekend taught by priests or lay people. You may also meet with sponsor couples, an older married couple who helps you by answering questions, etc. You will also be offered the opportunity to learn Natural Family Planning. Your fiancee should begin tracking her cycles long before marriage so she learns how to do it and gets in the habit. In this country couples take a “test” I think it is called Focus, which helps them pinpoint areas of disagreement or potential conflict they need to deal with before marriage, such as attitudes about finances, childrearing etc. This tool is extremely effective and is used by groups outside the church as well. The Catholic partner must agree to have the children baptized and educated in the Catholic Faith. Both partners must be open to all the fruits of marriage, including and especially chidren. You must agree to allow your wife to freely practice her Catholic faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.