Weddings Gowns

This is the girly-girl in me and the thread is not meant to be too serious.

I will admit, as much of an Anglophile that I am, I actually did not follow any of the lead up to the royal wedding between Prince William and Princess Catherine. I was able to catch them on the balcony this morning and I thought that Princess Catherine looked breathtaking.

Thus this thread on wedding gowns. I’ve been married 7 1/2 years, but I still remember when looking for a gown it was incredibly difficult to find gowns that had any kind of sleeve. I finally found one with something that was like cap sleeves, but not quite. I’m now wondering, though, with the popularity of this royal wedding if there will be a trend to start seeing more gowns similar to the one worn by Princess Catherine. Any future brides… have you started to see a change in the styles or do you predict to see a change? And for fun, if you want to, post your favorite gowns.

I sure hope it catches on. I'll be getting married in the next year or so, and I'm worried about trying to find something with sleeves, so if this becomes popular I hope I'll have less of a problem! :)

I am not much for royal weddings but when I saw Kate Middleton's gown this morning it made me very hopeful that it will start a trend of returning to modest wedding gowns!

Princess Catherine’s gown sent a tremendous message about the enduring beauty of a modestly designed bridal gown. I hope she is compared to Princess Grace, whose breath-taking wedding day beauty still seems other-worldly to me. Kate has that air about herself today, just classic in her gorgeous simplicity and elegance. No competing with Diana’s own iconic look and billowing fairly tale dress (and still incredibly beautiful as well). A perfect bridal gown. May God bless William and Kate’s marriage and their families of origin and procreation.

Princess Grace:

weddingdresses.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/princess-Grace-Wedding-dress.jpg

Princess Diana:

newdresses2011.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/d8b06_510W75HFR3L.PC.jpg

Princess Catherine:

cdn.thefrisky.com/images/uploads/kate_middleton_wedding_dress_m.jpg

Very pretty Princess gown today..:thumbsup:

I'll be married 14 years...my gown did have lace sleeves, but if I recall they were "extra" the dress did not come with them.

But, I loved Diana's flowing gown....not so much the poofy sleeves of the 1980's.

I got a bit teary eyed at their kiss.

I rembembered his parents wedding....and Diana's death. My father was so upset at her death....and he died just a few months later.

Sigh...

I loved the simpleness of the dress, I am not a girly-girl so whenever I get married I want a simple dress so I am definitely hoping this style catches on.

If I recall, The Prince of Monaco is Catholic....I wonder if Grace Kelly was as well?

[quote="Katie966, post:2, topic:238079"]
I sure hope it catches on. I'll be getting married in the next year or so, and I'm worried about trying to find something with sleeves, so if this becomes popular I hope I'll have less of a problem! :)

[/quote]

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!! There is already buzz about her gown being a success, so I think there will be a pretty good chance for you to have a easier time finding similar gowns.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!! :)

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:7, topic:238079"]
If I recall, The Prince of Monaco is Catholic....I wonder if Grace Kelly was as well?

[/quote]

Yes, Grace Kelly was Catholic. I also loved her gown!!! When I was planning my nuptials, I always wondered why there weren't affordable similar styles of gowns for us regular gals out there when you always see royalty wearing the most elegant and modest style of gowns. Of course, they are designed and made for them.

I'm so-o-o-o tired of seeing brides looking half dressed, some of them nearly falling out of their strapless tops, looking like they should be strutting down the stage in a Las Vegas floor show. Kate was simply elegant!

That was basically what we would have had to do with my gown, if we didn’t find the one with the cap-like strap sleeves. We ended up spending more for the gown, but it was worth it.

I did as well, I think because I thought back at how sad his parents’ marriage became and the tragedy of his mother’s death. I wish them both the very best.

This is so funny - I just posted this very comment on my FB page!! LOL

Hoping this starts a trend of sleeves on wedding gowns again, and the end of the half naked bride in Church:

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2011/Apr/Week4/15982092.jpg

~Liza

[quote="Cupofkindness, post:4, topic:238079"]
Princess Catherine's gown sent a tremendous message about the enduring beauty of a modestly designed bridal gown. I hope she is compared to Princess Grace, whose breath-taking wedding day beauty still seems other-worldly to me. Kate has that air about herself today, just classic in her gorgeous simplicity and elegance. No competing with Diana's own iconic look and billowing fairly tale dress (and still incredibly beautiful as well). A perfect bridal gown. May God bless William and Kate's marriage and their families of origin and procreation.

Princess Grace:

weddingdresses.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/princess-Grace-Wedding-dress.jpg

Princess Diana:

newdresses2011.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/d8b06_510W75HFR3L.PC.jpg

Princess Catherine:

cdn.thefrisky.com/images/uploads/kate_middleton_wedding_dress_m.jpg

[/quote]

Gosh, seeing the three brides together... they were all so beautiful and elegant. You are right, too, about Princess Grace. Her wedding day beauty was other-worldly.

I actually don’t like the lace…The rest of the dress is nice, thoug. I’m not saying she should go bare, but I’ve never been one for lace.

The poofy dress look. I’m more relieved that is out of fasion. Always makes me want to say “bibby bobbity boop”

It had style, fit, femininity, elegance, modesty, and grace. :yup: And I hope the sleeves trend catches on, both in long and short sleeve styles (if I get married I want shorter sleeves but I don't want any strapless and similar that have been so much a mainstay for so long).

It seems designers are beginning to think outside the box in the last 2-3 years and at least adding more detailing to gowns, not just everything a plain, unornamented strapless figure-hugging bodice and (this is my taste, so I mean no offense if you like plain) minimalist rest of the gown as well.

Also for awhile there they looked rather stiff, as if the dress was wearing the bride instead of the bride wearing the dress. Princess Kate's dress looked as if she wore it. :thumbsup: And I think even a gown "off the rack," if not too stiff and sculpted, could be the same for Miss Average Bride. Modest designing would also help in this regard - because if there's some actual fabric to hold up the dress it wouldn't need so much boning and stuff, perhaps! :p

I declare it a win.

Yes, both the late Prince and Princess of Monaco were Catholics as are their children.

It should be noted that the Vatican Code of Modesty specifies that a woman’s neckline should fall no more than two fingers’ breadth below the pit of the throat, arms should be covered at least to the mid-point between shoulder and elbow, hemlines should fall below the knee even when one is seated, the fit should allow for modest ease, and the fabric should be opaque so as not to reveal any flesh or appear to do so by using flesh-colored lining. Clearly it is difficult to adhere to these Mary-like guidelines today since the fashion world is so corrupt, but it is not impossible. Orthodox Jewish women wear just such gowns; I saw some of them online and they are gorgeous! There are still dressmakers who can make the gown of your dreams, so using Princess Catherine’s dress as an incentive, Catholic brides can do much to turn the tide toward modesty. It is what God and Our Lady want; how can you go wrong?
:slight_smile:
Pat

As a musician, who sees wedding gowns practically every weekend, I was just blown away by the elegance, modesty and beauty of the gown.

I’m listening/watching the ceremony now. I’m loving the music so far.

Here is Princess Leticia of Spain…

google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.abc.es/informacion/boda/images/boda/ceremonia/61g.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/royal-forums/13-spanish-royal-family/21215-may-22-2004-wedding-of-felipeletizia-ortiz&usg=__b_owmXd8HGGKbu0TRJo9aovKrMw=&h=390&w=300&sz=19&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=8NOFezdlNZV2WM:&tbnh=154&tbnw=106&ei=S9a6TZq8H4ne0QHHy9nDBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfelipe%2Bprince%2Bof%2Basturias%2Band%2Bletizia%2Bprincess%2Bof%2Basturias%2Bwedding%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26rlz%3D1I7GPEA_en%26biw%3D1053%26bih%3D451%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=310&vpy=65&dur=350&hovh=256&hovw=197&tx=111&ty=129&page=1&ndsp=11&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0

Nice gown as well!

I just went back to a Catholic bridal forum I was on and copied a bunch of links of other royal wedding gowns that I posted there. Enjoy:

1. ROYAL WEDDING 1999 - Edward & Sophie
    youtube.com/watch?v=b3DhVBqXobU&feature=related

2. Greek Royal wedding London
    youtube.com/watch?v=NJRbXh7Fvxo&feature=related

3. Wedding of Crown Prince Frederik & Miss Mary Donaldson
    I loved her gown. This was what I was looking for when I searched for a gown. Even her train was similar to mine although longer than mine - I was basically looking for something to match my mother’s train.

youtube.com/watch?v=oQaFUUW_d3k
youtube.com/watch?v=LQMqs5bRfG8&NR=1

1. Wedding of Prince Floris of Orange-Nassau and Aimée Söhngen
    She has a lovely outfit for her civil wedding and a beautiful one for the religious ceremony

youtube.com/watch?v=jtDuGAP-eck&feature=related

1. Wedding of Dutch Prince Constantijn & Laurentien Brinkhorst (This is the one that used “O God Beyond All Praising” which was my processional when I got married)
    youtube.com/watch?v=wldRaA65aGY&feature=related

2. Wedding in 2002 between Prins Willem Alexander and Maxima Zorreguieta
    youtube.com/watch?v=JeuLj2vjw24&feature=related

3. Wedding prince Filip and Princess Mathilde of Belgium
    youtube.com/watch?v=1jEde…eature=related

4. Felipe & Letizia’s Wedding Vows (Spanish Royal WEdding)
    youtube.com/watch?v=btw006qk3dM&feature=related
    youtube.com/watch?v=ypOJ5pEOSnQ&feature=related

:crying: Soooo beautiful!!!

Must get my forum back running. :(

~Liza

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.