weddings

The other day someone mentioned that they asked their priest to witness their wedding on new years eve, which happened to be on a Sunday that year. The person wanted to have it then because of the feast of the Holy Family. The priest (as least this is the story) called her a blasphemer who was mocking the sacraments.

Can anyone shed any light on what are the rules in this case?

Thanks!
Mel

As far as I know, a priest is not allow to say funerals or weddings on Sundays. I don’t believe there is any real theological reason for this, but more of a practical one. If a priest has to say 3 masses on a sunday, and then bring communion to the sick or other such things that are already happening on a sunday, it is a bit inconsiderate of us to also expect that they Say weddings and funerals and other things on sundays when they could easily be scheduled for a different day.

Here is the rule from the GIRM:

1. Ritual Masses are connected to the celebration of certain Sacraments or Sacramentals. They are prohibited on Sundays of Advent, Lent, and Easter, on solemnities, on the days within the Octave of Easter, on the Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls’ Day), on Ash Wednesday, and during Holy Week, taking due account of the norms given in the ritual books or in the Masses themselves.

Wedding Masses most certainly could happen on a Sunday. In fact, they could occur within the course of a regular Sunday Mass. I suppose that in this case, there may have been a misunderstanding on the priest’s part as to why the couple wanted that date of “New Year’s Eve”, thinking it was for secular purposes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.