Weekday Mass prayers

I have a couple of simple questions from the Roman Missal hoping someone with knowledge about the subject can help out.

On page 460, it says:

"Thus, in the Missal, thirty-four Masses for the Sundays and weekdays in Ordinary Time are found. They are used in this way:

a)      On Sundays the Mass corresponding to the number of the Sunday in Ordinary Time is ordinarily used, unless there occurs a Solemnity or a Feast of the Lord which takes the place of the Sunday.
  b)      On weekdays, however, any of the thirty-four Masses may be used, provided the pastoral needs of the faithful are taken into consideration."

The Roman Missal: Renewed by Decree of the Most Holy Second Ecumenical Council of the Vatican, Promulgated by Authority of Pope Paul VI and Revised at the Direction of Pope John Paul II. (2011). (Third Typical Edition., p. 460). Washington D.C.: United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Is this referring to the collect, antiphons, prayers etc?
Does that mean the weekday Masses don't have to follow that week's Sunday Mass?

Thanks!

[quote="wretched_sinner, post:1, topic:334854"]
I have a couple of simple questions from the Roman Missal hoping someone with knowledge about the subject can help out.

On page 460, it says:

"Thus, in the Missal, thirty-four Masses for the Sundays and weekdays in Ordinary Time are found. They are used in this way:

a)      On Sundays the Mass corresponding to the number of the Sunday in Ordinary Time is ordinarily used, unless there occurs a Solemnity or a Feast of the Lord which takes the place of the Sunday.
  b)      On weekdays, however, any of the thirty-four Masses may be used, provided the pastoral needs of the faithful are taken into consideration."

The Roman Missal: Renewed by Decree of the Most Holy Second Ecumenical Council of the Vatican, Promulgated by Authority of Pope Paul VI and Revised at the Direction of Pope John Paul II. (2011). (Third Typical Edition., p. 460). Washington D.C.: United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Thanks!

[/quote]

That's my understanding...

Clinton

[quote="wretched_sinner, post:1, topic:334854"]

On page 460, it says:

Thanks!

[/quote]

During the weeks of ordinary time, any day which is not impeded by an obligatory celebration--that is, a memorial, feast, or solemnity which is in the calendar to be celebrated by the universal Church or for which there is some regional or local obligation (like various feasts particular to religious congregations, different countries, or even the patronal feast of the Diocese or parish)--can have celebrated upon it virtually any Mass which the priest may choose (with due consideration, of course, for the pastoral needs of the faithful). I know of one priest who, during ordinary time, if there was a feast of a saint that fell on Sunday and was thus impeded from being celebrated (because it was outranked by Sunday), he'll observe that saint's feast during the week.

Other times of year are different; I don't remember the rules right off for Lent, Advent, Easter, and Christmas, but there is a table ranking the different days of the liturgical calendar out there to help sort through this.

-ACEGC

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.