Weekday masses - what they say

Hi:
I finally learned all the responses for the vigil and Sunday masses. :p

But now I've been going to a couple of week day masses too. Its totally different. :eek:

So now I don't know the responses. Couldn't find it online. Can someone help with that?

Thanks,

Rae

Weekday masses are the same as Sunday but without the Gloria or Creed. The responses are the same except perhaps the Mystery of Faith might be different but they can be different on Sundays as well. Also there is only one reading before the Gospel and a shorter homily usually.

The only thing that is really different is that our parish recited the Apostles Creed at daily Mass instead of the Nicene Creed. Different, but the same. :shrug:

[quote="Rae8, post:1, topic:322421"]
Hi:

But now I've been going to a couple of week day masses too. Its totally different. :eek:

So now I don't know the responses. Couldn't find it online. Can someone help with that?

[/quote]

Maybe you are referring to the penitential rite at the beginning of mass where the priest has different options. Sometimes the congregation recites the longer "I confess to Almighty God ..." where we need to use the cue card or missalette if we don't know it yet, and other times it is a shorter response to his invocations, using "Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy, Lord have mercy."

Hi:

Thanks,

Rae

[/quote]

Just keep going and you will be fine! weekday Mass is much shorter as you can see do to responses, only 2 readings, etc.

Thank you -

Today, I noticed they had little prayer books with the daily mass so that helped a lot.

But there are just two parts I'm not sure what they are saying now which were not in that book.

One is when the priest first stands up and the crowd states a short paragraph. And then he starts. The other is close to the end after communion.

[quote="Rae8, post:6, topic:322421"]
Thank you -

Today, I noticed they had little prayer books with the daily mass so that helped a lot.

But there are just two parts I'm not sure what they are saying now which were not in that book.

One is when the priest first stands up and the crowd states a short paragraph. And then he starts. The other is close to the end after communion.

[/quote]

Aah... those are the 'entrance antiphon' and the 'communion antiphon'. Any time that there's not an entrance hymn, the antiphons for the day are used. Do you have "Seasonal Missalettes" in the pews? If so, then they have the antiphons for each day (toward the back of the missalette, before the songs).

At the beginning or at the end of the Mass at this time of year it is not unommon for the Priest to recite the Angelus in many parts of the world. Maybe that is what you are hearing. The Priest speaks, the people respond etc. If you have never heard it it can be confusing because it is not in the rubrics.

Since none of us are at the Church with you, it might be wise to go directly to the source speak to the priest after Mass. Once you explain your situation he will be more than likely to answer your questions and help you.

Hi:

Thanks,

Rae

[/quote]

I do like during the daily Mass, The Litury of the Eucharist, the prayer for Presentation of the Gifts and Preparation of the Altar are different, which I really like:

Priest: Blessed are you, Lord, God of all creation. Through your goodness we have this bread to offer, which earth has given and human hands have made. It will become for us the bread of life.
All: Blessed be God for ever.

Priest: Blessed are you, Lord, God of all creation. Through your goodness we have this wine to offer, fruit of the vine and work of human hands. It will become our spiritual drink.

Your Missalette in the pew should guide you thru the daily Mass. Once you go and participate a couple of times, you will get the hang of it. I think more people should experience daily Mass.

I have found Magnificat, a monthly publication containing all the daily readings and prayers, to be very helpful, both at mass and at home. In the center portion of each issue is a section with mass prayers and responses. Catholic bookstores usually sell individual monthly copies, but the subscription price is much better.

Most of the time the entrance and communion Antiphons are different. I have a daily missal what has the everything in it

[quote="Rae8, post:6, topic:322421"]

[/quote]

That's peculiar, because the communion antiphon needs to be recited before communion is distributed.

There may be one other small response that you do not know from Sundays: when the priest says "Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation..." and presents the bread and wine, we respond: "Blessed be God forever". This dialogue is superceded by the Offertory Chant in Masses with music, such as on Sunday.

[quote="peace2u2, post:10, topic:322421"]
I do like during the daily Mass, The Litury of the Eucharist, the prayer for Presentation of the Gifts and Preparation of the Altar are different, which I really like:

[/quote]

That is not different, it happens at Sunday Mass too. It is just that these offertory prayers are usually covered by music at Masses with music (which is the correct practice), so one generally does not actually get to hear them except at musicless Masses.

[quote="peace2u2, post:10, topic:322421"]

Priest: Blessed are you, Lord, God of all creation. Through your goodness we have this bread to offer, which earth has given and human hands have made. It will become for us the bread of life.

Priest: Blessed are you, Lord, God of all creation. Through your goodness we have this wine to offer, fruit of the vine and work of human hands. It will become our spiritual drink.

Your Missalette in the pew should guide you thru the daily Mass. Once you go and participate a couple of times, you will get the hang of it. I think more people should experience daily Mass.

[/quote]

SCREECH! OLD TRANSLATION ALERT!

Please don't cite the old translation unless it is for mockery or scholarly consternation. We have been provided with a beautiful new translation for Advent 2011, let's get used to it.

Well I ordered the Roman missal. But I’m thinking I’m not going to find some of these things in there.

[quote="Rae8, post:16, topic:322421"]
Well I ordered the Roman missal. But I'm thinking I'm not going to find some of these things in there.

[/quote]

Is it a CTS missal ?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.