Weekday missal too complicated

does the weekday missal seem to be unduly complicated to follow? i bought the catholic book publishing volume 1 & 2. it's as if 2 separate companies wrote them. had to go out and buy a guide to figure them out, unlike the sunday version , which is very easy to work with.

wick

Yes, it’s very odd and not easy to grasp, but with time it does get easier.

You could use one from a company that sends a monthly Missal, like Magnificat? It’s easy and simple to follow!

Also, Novalis has one!

I too understand your frustration!

Also “The Word Among Us” with Mass Supplement.

I really do love my Magnificat subscription. My church has missals, but they really are pretty bad for daily mass.

I am guessing you are using the Saint Joseph's weekday missal. I have never looked at that version.

The one linked here is fantastic: aquinasandmore.com/category/1931/fuseaction/store.browsecategory/sort/popularity/productsperpage/24/layout/grid/currentpage/1

It is a real treasure. It contains great material from the calendar of the saints, prayers, spiritual guidance, the annual calendar of masses, etc. It really has a lot packed into one volume.

If stranded on an island, I would want a bible, and this missal.

If I were stranded on an island I would want a Bible, a Missal and a book on “Ship-Building”:smiley:

Has the St Joseph Missal come out with the new translation? If not, and I don’t think it has, maybe the confusion is because you are using an outdated missal???

I am also not aware of a guide that can be purchased for the daily missal. The guides are for “Christian Prayer” and “Liturgy of the Hours.”

If you can, take your missal to someone else at church that uses one. Get them to set up your ribbons. Once you are set, it is simply a matter of moving them each day and week.

I use Living With Christ as my daily missal. It's a monthly periodical like Magnificat, but more affordable.

I often jot notes in the margins during the homily, if I want to remember something.

[quote="maryjk, post:8, topic:287645"]
Has the St Joseph Missal come out with the new translation? If not, and I don't think it has, maybe the confusion is because you are using an outdated missal?????

I am also not aware of a guide that can be purchased for the daily missal. The guides are for "Christian Prayer" and "Liturgy of the Hours."

[/quote]

The new edition is out, although I have heard that the demand is greater than available copies.

There is in fact a special 'ordo' or guide for the St J Missal.

I am still on the previous (older) version of St Joe and while much has changed, the Readings have not. I would love to switch to the missal that was posted in this thread, but any price would be prohibitive. I have to make do with what I have, and what I have is the previous edition of the St. Joe. (Also I do not have any smart phones or "I" devices at my disposal that could receive an electronic version.)

[quote="wickball, post:1, topic:287645"]
does the weekday missal seem to be unduly complicated to follow? i bought the catholic book publishing volume 1 & 2. it's as if 2 separate companies wrote them. had to go out and buy a guide to figure them out, unlike the sunday version , which is very easy to work with.

wick

[/quote]

During the week there is choices for the priest. He can do the ordinary Mass of the day, or he can do the feast or memorial for the saint. The Sunday Masses are much more straight forward.

Catholic One app. It's free.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.