Weekday Traditions

From cathcon.blogspot.com, in reference to what person or group is commemorated on which day of the week:
* Monday- Holy Angels
* Tuesday- Holy Apostles
* Wednesday- St Joseph
* Thursday- Blessed Sacrament
* Friday- Passion of Our Lord
* Saturday- Our Lady

Is this the traditional list of days and people?

I’m not so sure about the history, but the order follows that given by Leo XIII when he instituted Votive Offices and Masses to replace those of the feriae (these were later removed by St. Pius X). There is an alternative order of Votive Masses assigned to each weekday in the missal that is:

Monday: Holy Trinity
Tuesday:Holy Angels
Wednesday:St. Joseph/ Ss. Peter and Paul/ Holy Apostles
Thurday: Blessed Sacrament/ Holy Spirit/ OLJC the High Priest
Friday: Passion of OLJC/ Holy Cross / Sacred Heart

(Some in this list such as St. Joseph, the Sacred Heart and OLJC the High Priest are later additions into the order of votive Masses over the last century and a half)

From cathcon.blogspot.com, in reference to what person or group is commemorated on which day of the week:

• Monday- Holy Angels
  • Tuesday- Holy Apostles
  • Wednesday- St Joseph
  • Thursday- Blessed Sacrament
  • Friday- Passion of Our Lord
  • Saturday- Our Lady**

**In the Byzantine Tradition, the weekday commemorations, reflected in the hymnody, are

Sunday–the Resurrection
Monday–the Angels
Tuesday–John the Baptist
Wednesday and Friday–the Theotokos and Holy Cross
Thursday–Apostles and St. Nicholas
Saturday–All Saints and the Departed.**

Hey AJV how are you? It’s been quite a while since I last seen you in the forums. You’ve probably been around, it’s just that I haven’t been posting in the same threads. Anyway, it’s good to see you again.

Thank you all. As some of you may already have seen, here is fisheaters.com’s list which I just found today:

Sunday
Resurrection & the Holy and Undivided Trinity Glorious

Monday The Holy Ghost & the Souls in Purgatory Joyful

Tuesday The Holy Angels 1 Sorrowful

Wednesday St. Joseph 2 Glorious

Thursday The Blessed Sacrament 3 Joyful

Friday Christ’s Passion and His Sacred Heart 4 Sorrowful

Saturday The Blessed Virgin and her Immaculate Heart. 5 Glorious

fisheaters.com/week.html
Pax

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.