Weekly Lenten Themes - Entrance Antiphons

Hello –

I’m looking to help my family connect more with the themes of the weeks in Lent. One way that I thought we might do this is learn a song/hymn connected to the name of the Sundays in Lent, which correlate to the Introits. As I have learned, the entrance antiphons/introits were a way to help remind us of what was coming up on Sunday pre-Vatican II. Today only Laetare Sunday (in Lent) and Gaudete Sunday (in Advent) seem to even get mention, and entrance antiphons get treated as optional to the point of complete exclusion. (Such a pity.)

I’m not really interested in learning chants for each week at this point. Maybe in the future, but I want to meet my family where they are … and connect songs they may have already encountered with the weeks of Lent. So far I’ve made one connection – Invocabit Me (First Sunday in Lent) with On Eagles’ Wings. **Can anyone help me find songs that connect with the Psalms (etc) in the introits? And if not to the introits, maybe the Sunday Gospels (though I’d prefer songs that can be used each year regardless of the lectionary cycle)? BTW We already have plenty of general Lenten hymns/songs in our toolbox (e.g., Were You There, Forty Days and Forty Nights, etc.), so we’re good there.

This project is especially important to me, because the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS) continues to use the Introits which most RC communities seem to have tossed out (in the US at least). My husband is LCMS and it would help on the ecumenical front. :wink:

Thanks!**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.