Weird "Lenten" Practices are Absent this Year

It’s nice to see that most of the weird “lenten” practices of the last couple of decades are largely absent at my parish this year. The holy water fonts are full. There isn’t any weird vegetation surrounding the altar. Our main crucifix is not covered with purple cloth.

There will be no enneagram in the parish hall this year. It seems like the sordid influence of the Los Angeles Religious Education Congress is already beginning to wane, thanks be to God.

Praise God!

Just an FYI, the veiling the cross from the 5th Sunday of Lent until Easter vigil is a pious practice and permitted in the Roman Missal. It is not a “weird lenten practice”.

Several years ago, when we were at a different parish, the holy water fonts were empty during Lent. I tried to convince my pastor that it was againt the Vatican’s instructions on the matter, but he wouldn’t hear of it.

The very next year Cardinal Maida sent out a letter to all parishes informing them of the correct practices. :thumbsup:

We have the weird vegetation and purple cloth around the crucifix but still have water in the fonts. Actually I prefer the purple cloth over the bright green that usually surrounds it.

I suspect is talking about what we have in our parish-that is purple cloth draped behind and beside the crucifix but not covering it

It’s weird when it’s done throughout Lent. Removing Holy Water on Good Friday is also an old practice but doing so for all of Lent is weird.

Yeah, but in my parish they remove the statues and cover the ‘resurrectifix’ from Ash Wednesday onward – on the positive side, they don’t mess with the holy water fonts.

Agreed.

Roman Catholic Doctrine Vs. The Doctrinal Teaching of the Word of God

Eternal life is a merited reward [1821, 2010]. - Roman Catholicism
Eternal life is the free gift of God (Romans 6:23)

No one can know if he will attain eternal life [1036, 2005] - Roman Catholicism
The believer can know that he has eternal life by the Word of God (1 John 5:13)

The Roman Catholic Church is necessary for salvation [846]. - Roman Catholicism
There is salvation in no one but the Lord Jesus Christ, “for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12)

Purgatory is necessary to atone for sin and clean the soul [1030-1031]. - Roman Catholicism
Purgatory does not exist. Jesus made purification for sins on the cross (Hebrews 1:3)

Mary was preserved from all stain of original sin from the first instant of her conception (the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception) [490-492].
Mary, a descendant of Adam, was born in sin (Psalm 51:5; Romans 5:12)

Mary is the Mother of the Church [963, 975]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary was the earthly mother of Jesus ( John 2:1)

The Magisterium is the authoritative teacher of the Church. [85-87]. - Roman Catholicism
The Holy Spirit is the authoritative teacher of the church (John 14:26; John 16:13, I John 2:27)

The pope, as the Bishop of Rome, is the successor of Peter [882, 936] - Roman Catholicism
Peter had no successor, nor was he a pope.

The pope is infallible in his authoritative teaching [891]. - Roman Catholicism
God alone is infallible (Numbers 23:19)

Scripture and Tradition together are the Word of God [81, 85, 97, 182]. - Roman Catholicism
Scripture is the Word of God (John 10:35, 2 Timothy 3:15-17, 2 Peter 1:20-21). Tradition is the words of men (Mark 7:1-13).

The sacrificial work of redemption is continually carried out through the Sacrifice of the Mass. [1364,1405, 1846]. - Roman Catholicism
The sacrificial work of redemption was finished when Christ gave His life for us on the cross (Ephesians 1:7, Hebrews 1:3).

God desires that consecrated bread and wine be worshiped as divine. [1378-1381] - Roman Catholicism
God forbids the worship of any object, even t hose intended to represent Him (Exodus 20:4-5, Isaiah 42:8)

Justification is lost through mortal sin [1033, 1855, 1874] - Roman Catholicism
Justification cannot be lost. Those whom God justifies will be saved from the wrath of God (Romans 5:8-9).

Justification is furthered by sacraments and good works [1212, 1392, 2010] - Roman Catholicism
Justification is the imputation of the perfect righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21). In Christ the believer has been made complete (Colossians 2:10).

Salvation is attained by cooperating with grace through faith, good works, and participation in the sacraments [183, 1129, 1815, 2002]. - Roman Catholicism
Salvation is attained by grace through faith apart from works (Ephesians 2:8-9). Good works are the result, not the cause, of salvation (Ephesians 2:10).

Mary, “the All-Holy,” lived a perfectly sinless life [411, 493]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary was a sinner; God alone is sinless (Luke 18:19, Romans 3:23, Revelation 15:4).

Mary was a virgin before, during, and after the birth of Christ [496-511]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary remained a virgin until after the birth of Jesus (Matthew 1:25). Later she had other children (Matthew 13:55-56, Psalm 69:8).

Each Sacrifice of the Mass appeases God’s wrath against sin [1371, 1414]. - Roman Catholicism
The once-for-all sacrifice of the cross fully appeased God’s wrath against sin. (Hebrews 10:12-18).

The Bishops, with the Pope, as their head, rule the universal church. [883, 894-896]. - Roman Catholicism
Christ, the head of the body is the Head of the Church. (Colossians 1:18).

The faithful receive the benefits of the cross in fullest measure through the Sacrifice of the Mass [1366, 1407]. - Roman Catholicism
Believers receive the benefits of the cross in fullest measure in Christ through faith (Ephesians 1:3-14).

God has exalted Mary in heavenly glory as Queen of Heaven and Earth [966]. She is to be praised with special devotion [971, 2675]. - Roman Catholicism
The name of the Lord is to be praised, for He alone is exalted above heaven and earth (Psalm 148:13). God commands, “You shall have no other gods before Me.” (Exodus 20:3).

Mary is the co-mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions 9 968-970, 2677] - Roman Catholicism
Christ Jesus is the one mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions (1 Timothy 2:5, John 14:13-14, 1 Peter 5:7).

Mary is the co-redeemer, for she participate with Christ in the painful act of redemption [618, 964, 968, 970]. - Roman Catholicism
Christ alone is the Redeemer, for He alone suffered and died for sin (1 Peter 1:18-19).

The sacrifice of the cross is perpetuated in the Sacrifice of the Mass [1323, 1382] - Roman Catholicism
The Sacrifice of the cross is finished (John 19:30).

Indulgences dispensed by the Church for acts of piety release sinners from temporal punishment [1471-1473]. - Roman Catholicism
Jesus releases believers from their sins by His blood. (Revelation 1:5).

The Magisterium has the right to define truth found only obscurely or implicitly in revelation. [66, 88, 2035, 2051]. - Roman Catholicism
No one has the right to go beyond what is written in Scripture (1 Corinthians 4:6, Proverbs 30:5-6).

Scripture and Tradition together are the Church’s supreme role of faith [80, 82]. - Roman Catholicism
Scripture is the church’s rule of faith (Mark 7:7-13, 2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Oooo, we just got rid of our resurrectifix. I hadn’t heard the word before but knew just what you’re referring to.

…resurrectifix…

Isn’t this word internally illogical? It seems to me that nothing resurrected could possibly be fixed anywhere…
:stuck_out_tongue:

I found out today why all the garbage is missing this year. My pastor has disbanded the long dysfunctional and worthless “liturgy team.” :thumbsup:

I thought we were the only parish with the dreaded “resurrectifix”. Even our processional cross is a resurrectifix.

I’m jealous… We’ve had all sorts of weirdness…

Oh, believe me, you aren’t. I’ve seen them in many parishes.

Our processional cross was ordered with a resurrectifix by the youth group leaders as a gift for the parish. Members of the liturgy committee protested loudly when it came in and the y.g. leaders finally, under protest, ordered a cross with a corpus. But they didn’t give up – since they paid for the resurrectifix, the leader, who is now also the Liturgy Committee chair, insists that we use it during the Easter season. That means that for that season we have no crucifix during Mass and no amount of pointing out the GIRM will make them budge – the pastor doesn’t care. :mad:

That’s the same group who also ordered new altar/processional candles and instead of the stands with the sockets for wax candles that the catalog had, they special-ordered and paid much more for ‘oil’ acrylic ‘candles’. :rolleyes: At least when the parish decided to buy a matching Paschal candle stand I made sure we ordered one for a 3" wax candle.

Later they wanted to give another gift to the church. We suggested an altar cloth since we only have one that fits. No, forget what the parish needs, they ordered two new chalices and a ciborium that we didn’t need. Now the ornate ones we were using are relegated to the cupboard and we are using the plain ones they bought.

We had a crafty lady who decided to make fake stained glass (painted acrylic) light boxes in her husband’s memory. Her son carved the ornate frames and where did they place them? On each side of the resurrectifix on the sanctuary wall.

I come from the less-is-more school of decorating and tacky stuff like that gives me hives.:smiley:

We’ve just installed 13 new windows in the church. Immediately people started complaining and asking “Why not stained glass?” Er, because we can’t afford stained glass? We couldn’t even really afford the windows but they were necessary so a wealthy parishioner donated them. So now, they’re fund raising for more ‘showy’ stuff. Evangelization and outreach programs? Don’t be silly, who sees those? Luckily they’ve asked for input from the community. I put in my :twocents: and said ‘leave the windows as they are’. I did say that if they were going to go ahead with something at all, I’d rather see two real stained-glass windows than 13 with those overlays they are proposing.

Phemie did you mean 3 foot (’) or 3 inch (") candle. By the way your post is sad but funny. I am glad I live in the land of orthodoxy. We don’t even have parish council (technically I guess we do but it never meets or reports publicly and nobody knows who is on it) let alone liturgy groups. I asked our pastor if we could change the intro before Mass he supported that and made changes. No input from others - just done.

3" diameter. We usually get a 3’ x 3" one which 3 of us pay for, otherwise the pastor would reuse the old one until it was nothing but a nub.

Your youth group is giving the others a bad name… :frowning:
I hope they at least teach orthodoxy.

You’re kidding, right? Our youth group seems to exist for one reason only, fundraising. The prevailing attitude is, “We raised the money so we’ll tell the parish what to do with it.”

One of the leaders often criticizes parishioners who don’t come to Mass, yet if you say, “Yes, it’s too bad that they don’t attend more often,” she’ll reply that she really doesn’t care if they’re at Mass but they should be giving their fair share of money to the parish. Then she’ll complain that because 3 of the Saturday evening Masses were cancelled by the priest who was covering our parish in November, she as a result didn’t get to go to Mass that month. Ask why she didn’t go to the Sunday Masses she’ll tell you that she and her extended family don’t ‘do Sundays’.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.