Weird question

So I have to admit, I’m a conspiracy theorist. I really am, always have been, always will be. It intrigues me to no end. However, upon browsing my favorite conspiracy theory forum, I noticed this statement:
The Pope can abolish any law in the United States. (Elements of Ecclesiastical Law Vol.1 53-54)
Is that true?

The Pope of course has no authority over civil law in any country. He can however require Catholics in any country to act in accord with Catholic principles, under penalty of sin.
For instance if the government would require parents to abort any child that has a specific genetic deformity. A Catholic parent would not be able to abide by that law.

You should get some counseling for that.

Well, you tell us.

How, exactly, would the Pope accomplish that? Where in the US Constitution is this covered? In which branch-- the Executive, Legislative, or Judicial – would the Pope fall and how would he exercise such a power?

This thread reminds me of something Joseph Stalin is supposed to have said. Once when Pope Pious XII had made a statement to the effect that Stalin should show some restraint in Eastern Europe, Stalin replied, “And how many divisions does the Pope have?” This pretty well sums up the extent of power the Pope has over civil governments.

The Pope can start a war if he wants to for sure.

When St. Pius X sent out Pascendi Dominici Gregis, before he was warned that that would bring problems.

Later we had WWI. The world revolves around Rome.

The Pope, not as influent as before can still move souls and arms if he wanted to.

Thanks, that clears it up.

The pope is the leader on this side of heaven in the war against evil called spiritual warefare.

Please explain the problems brought on by the encyclical you mentioned and how that concerned Hitler.

mdcpensive1

“And how many divisions does the Pope have?”

In other words, no army, no chance of making people see things your way. Or at least that’s what Stalin believed. He obviously never studied the lives of Mahatma Gandhi, Mandela or Martin Luther King.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.