Well-Attested Miracles in the Church

[INDENT][INDENT]What are some miracles that have occurred throughout the history of the Church that are genuine, document, or even just popular? --Or perhaps not well known? I’m thinking anything supernatural, really.

One of the best ways to bolster the claims of Christianity and the Church, as well as re-affirm one’s faith and perhaps even convince a non-believer, is looking into the miracles that are on the Church’s record.

[LIST]
*]The shroud
*]Our Lady of Guadalupe tilma
*]Apparitions at Fatima & Lourdes
*]Eucharistic miracles
*]Liquefied blood of St. J (forgot his name)
*]Incorrupt bodies
[/LIST]
Anything else? Or specific examples of these? The incorrupt bodies have always intrigued me, but I always feel a little doubt with them because none of them seem to be completely incorrupt. And I always have this feeling that some of them are better preserved for the sake of modern display.

Any links or general info would be great!

[/INDENT][/INDENT]

Well-Attested Miracles in the Church

[fantasy]There are absolutely ZERO such miracles.[/fantasy]

Elaborate, please.

A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign [Matt 12:39]

I’m the guy that would prefer the Church had not defined the criteria for Papal infallibility. The Church got by quite well for eighteen centuries without it. Now we have Catholics who somehow think they are only obliged to accept “infallible” doctrine.

How does this have anything to do with the topic of the thread or an elaboration of your previous post?

We seek objective assurances.

I don’t think that’s a Good Thing, even when such assurances are available.

If this isn’t a wicked and adulterous generation then I don’t know what is; and the Lord gives us a sign in the well attested miracles at Lourdes and Fatima amongst others. I wish the Church hadn’t defined the criteria for mortal sin, but they did and it has caused me a headache ever since.
But as there are so few “infallible” dogma arising from papal bull that I can count them on my fingers I doubt that any Catholic rely only on this handful for their faith.
On the other hand I am, with so many other sad Thomas-like souls, comforted in my weak faith by the Marian miracles. I am heartened that there are others that don’t need such reassurance, but I believe it is God’s providence that allows Mary to bring us, as always, to her Jesus.

I have a Christian friend who told me the other day
that he didn’t believe in miracles, I told him that
miracles are SIGNS that point to God, the God
of miracles, just as gifts reveal the giver’s heart.

Infallibility was always there, just not yet given the name Infallibility. The Trinity was always there but not given the name Trinity till later either! Same with Purgatory! God Bless, Memaw

A better phrase rather than “well-attested” could be “worthy of belief”. This implies that, in the Church’s infinite wisdom and prudence, while saying that something probably did happen here (and in other cases, like the miracle of Corpus Christi and the Eucharistic miracle of Lanciano, to give you two other examples that I think you didn’t mention), they still fall under private revelation and/or pious traditions that aren’t required belief to be in full communion with the Church.

While that is a valid opinion that will most certainly not land you out of the Church for the reason I just explained, I do humbly implore you to explore, as objectively as you can, the facts and circumstances surrounding some of these claimed miracles. They truly are fascinating. :slight_smile:

That may be true or not, but at the end of the day, if Catholics assume everything the Pope says is infallible (assuming you mean that – if not, I apologize, and feel free to correct me), without knowing what an ex cathedra pronouncement on faith and/or morals is, that speaks more of their poor catechesis and grounding in the faith, rather than a decision taken by the Church to reaffirm a centuries-old Tradition, wouldn’t you say?

AMEN. You read my mind!!! The more we know, the less we are sure.

According to the Church’s definition, many protestants are not even CAPABLE of mortal sin, because one of the three requirements for a sin to be mortal in nature is “full knowledge” of the mortally sinful nature of the offense. But many protestants do not even believe in mortal sin. So, can they possibly have full knowledge?

But it’s downright silly to say that protestants are somehow incapable of mortal sin simply because they don’t believe in it. I understand that Catholic doctrine is directed to Catholics, and not to protestants, but the Church teaches that the Saving Grace of Baptism applies to (most) protestant denominations.

I see miracles every day. People who come to faith, who want to be Baptized because God held out His hand and they accepted it.
That’s miraculous.
I don’t think the Lord needs to do party tricks to win souls. :rolleyes:
We need to simply respond to His love.
The Catholic Church was instituted by Jesus Christ Himself. If that’s not good enough for the doubters…well…I don’t know what to say. But you can’t put the Holy Spirit in a cage.

peace.

Rather than talking about infallibility or criticizing my asking this question, I would prefer users to respond to the topic of this thread. If you don’t like it, remember you don’t have to respond :):):slight_smile:

I for one am someone whose faith is confirmed by looking into the miraculous phenomena of the Church. So once again…

What miracles in the Church do you know of?

And yet God indeed does do miracles. I’m willing to bet at least one of the popular miracles worthy of believe in the Church really did happen.

And I’m speaking of technical miracles. Conversion stories are not miracles – not of the kind I’m talking about.

Once again, miracles help confirm believe in God for those who already believe, and they can lead people to believe who do not already believe. Think of those led to belief after the miracles in the Gospels.

In deed. Think of the times Christ said “your faith has saved you”.

Well, as I said in the previous post on this thread, other than the miracles you listed in the OP, you have the miracle of Corpus Christi and the Eucharistic miracle of Lanciano.

They are truly fascinating. :slight_smile:

Other than the three Marian apparitions you listed, this list may be useful. :smiley:

As far as specific examples of Eucharistic miracles go, the two that come to mind are miracle of Lanciano and the miracle of Corpus Christi.

I am not sure if this miracle fits what you are looking for, but I personally find the miracle that took pope.John Paul the second to the altars, the healing of Mora Diaz, pretty impressive. A head aneurysm is no joke and hers was pretty well recorded by doctors, cat scans etc. Her aneurism certainly disappear it was well documented before and after. Again I personally think that one was pretty impressive.

What is miraculous about “incorrupt” bodies.
There’s every liklihood its simply a rare phenomenon of nature found in a variety of cultures, religions and times.
You do realise that the alleged incorrupt bodies of Catholic saints you speak of are not perfectly so and have been aided by artifice as well.

The Holy Fire at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in JerusLem every Pascha.
The descent of a cloud over Mt Tabor on the feast day of the Transfiguration of our Lord.
The reversal of water flow in the Jordan when the bishop throws the cross in the waters on the feast day of Epiphany.

These all occur every year when the Orthodox celebrate these feast days, though they are not well known outside of the Orthodox Church.

However, you were probably after miracles in the Catholic Church, not the Orthodox Church :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.