Well, that's an interesting thought

We were talking about corruption of the Catholic Church in my social studies class today, about how the Popes and Bishops got greedy and power-hungry. And I thought to myself, well, maybe that’s why the Orthodox only let Monks become Bishops. So, my question is, why doesn’t the Catholic Church enforce the rule of Monastic-Bishops?

Bump.

Because many of them too have fallen into corruption…At least that is one answer to your question.

I believe the Orthodox only draw from monks because all the priests are married, which would be an impediment to the episcopacy

I think the word “monk” is understood differently in the eastern and western Churches. In the western tradition, a monk is generally considered to be a member of a monastic religious order, who may not necessarily be a priest. In the eastern tradition, any celibate priest is considered a monk.

By the western definition, probably very few Orthodox bishops are “monks”, as most would probably be selected from what would be considered in the West to be diocesan priests. (but I admit I have no real data about whether any Orthodox bishops are actually members of religious orders.)

By the eastern definition, all Catholic bishops are “monks”, as all are celibate.

Not all of their priests are married. It isnt a requirement to the priesthood.

<<I believe the Orthodox only draw from monks because all the priests are married,>>

Not all priests–even all parish priests–are married. Otherwise, there would be no monastic priests, right?
DUH!

I believe that is just by traditional discipline. Marriage is not an impediment to Holy Orders of any form.

Marriage is niether an impediment or a requirement for priesthood, but it is an impediment for the episcopacy. Joe

Do you have documentation for that?

I believe it is just a long-standing tradition within the Eastern Churches and the Orthodox church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.