Wendy Davis one-on-one

I for one am interested, would most catholics be on board to expanded coverage for contraception if it meant a drop in abortions.

She’s known for her support of a woman’s right to choose.

It’s no secret where she stands on abortion restrictions.

She supports keeping abortion clinics open but tells Action 4 News she doesn’t want to see any babies killed before they’re even born.

She simply wants to give women the option of terminating their pregnancy if they choose to.

“(Joey Horta): The opponents of that will say, people who support that, they’re baby killers. That’s what they say. How do you respond to that?”

“(Davis): The goal that we should have is that we see zero abortions but in order to achieve that goal we have to make sure women are recieving the kind of healthcare and planning that they deserve," said State Sen. Wendy Davis.

But what about other big issues affecting the Valley?

Tonight we sit down for an exclusive indepth interview with the only democratic candidate for governor.

We ask the tough questions and she answers them only on Action 4 News at 10.

valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=973180#.Uou4JWTwIzI

No even if contraception wasn’t an abortifacient.

Well as a Catholic and a husband/father/son I don’t really consider the promotion of a system of having women introduce unnatural levels of hormones, chemicals, or foreign objects designed to slowly release the prior into a woman’s body as something that should be covered under “women’s healthcare.” Especially when there is already a well proven natural method that has the side benefit of freeing women from ignorance of their bodies and the financial burden of the apparently more “enlightened” system being pushed on us by the government and the medical community.

Handing out free contraception in order to reduce abortions is roughly akin to handing out free needles and cocaine of regulated consistent potency in the hopes that it will reduce OD deaths. It’s self-defeating and the historical record demonstrates this quite clearly.

We’ve had 50 million abortions in the USA alone since they became “safe and legal.” This almost completely coincides with the time period in which contraception became almost universally available (pretty much every drug store, grocery store or gas station in America has it available). These two realities devastate the assertion that contraception will reduce demand for abortion. Instead, it demonstrates direct correlation where increases in contraception availability and social acceptance lead to increases in demand for abortion. No spinmeister can take that reality away.

Wendy Davis claims to be pro-life because she knows that the results of the next gubernatorial election are going to be ugly, especially if she can’t convince people that she is not lying when she makes that claim.

Peace

Tim

I think she stands where many Americans do, and the debated abortive effects of contraceptives aside, I would say that it indicates a path to a lesser evil. Short of converting all of America to Catholicism I would say there is a risk of making the bad the enemy of the worse. A woman who consistently uses injectable contraceptives or takes the pill as prescribed, is less likely to conceive and therefore less likely to have an abortion. I could live better with less pregnancies than with more abortions, but perhaps there is something I overlook…

Aren’t there several countries where people can be prescribed needles and heroin in order to be safe while drugging up? Obviously not the US, but I’ve heard several European countries have this policy.

52% of people who are ‘pro choice’ think abortion should be illegal in the second trimester and 79% think abortion should be illegal in the third trimester

gallup.com/poll/148880/plenty-common-ground-found-abortion-debate.aspx

Forty-four percent of respondents said they support banning abortions taking place 20 weeks or more after fertilization, while 37 percent oppose it. Twelve states have passed laws restricting abortions after that time, most recently in Texas after a high-profile debate. That battle featured a lengthy filibuster by Democratic state Sen. Wendy Davis who attracted national attention for her efforts but did not stop the eventual passage of the law.

firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/24/19661159-poll-plurality-support-abortion-restrictions-after-20-weeks?lite

SEN. WENDY DAVIS: I don’t know what happened in the Gosnell case.

weeklystandard.com/blogs/wendy-davis-i-dont-know-what-happened-gosnell-case_742625.html

What she has done since announcing a run for governor is try to appear more moderate on the abortion issue, but her extremism in filibustering the bill in Texas will not be forgotton. The fact that she has toned it down is quite telling.

Guttmacher Institute said

Fifty-four percent of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users report having used their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users report correct use.8]

guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/3429402.html

Study by a prof at University of North Carolina found that widespread emergency contraception ‘led to a statistically significant increase in STD rates’ and did not have an effect on the abortion or pregnancy rate

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1465-7295.2012.00498.x/abstract

Virtually every country where contraception use has increased there was similtuanous increase in abortion - rise in abortion in England as contraception use increased. Portugal’s abortion rate rose after oral contraception was made widely available in 1999. France’s abortion rate increased as contraception use increased. Canada’s abortion only started to increased after oral contraception was made legal in 1969. Australia’s abortion rate increased as contraception use increased

I agree. Contraception leads people to think they can have consequence-free sex, only to find out that contraception isn’t perfect. This in turn leads to abortions from people who want nothing to do with their children :frowning:

*Lizz Winstead, Sarah Silverman, and a giant stuffed vulva raised money for Texas abortion access, Nov. 18, 2013.
At the end of the evening, Winstead also announced the upcoming launch of “V to Shining V,” which she described as "a massive interactive website … to go into all the different states and expose all these ******s."
They even got props from Democratic gubernoatorial hopeful Wendy Davis, who tweeted her thanks
[

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2013/11/abortion_lizz_winstead_sarah_silverman_texas_women_forever_wendy_davis.php]()

Why is it that when the issue of contraception comes up (especially from non-believers) they omit the most effective and safe form of contraception that is advocated by the Catholic Church? Abstinence.

Don’t know why I typed this. Abstinence = self control and discipline, which is becoming more and more unacceptable. Sigh.:shrug:

Population Control Logic at work. The Culture of Death is remarkably effective in causing this kind of mentality.

Here’s a quick biology lesson: the less a woman has sex, the less likely she is to conceive.

What intrinsic right does anyone have to consequence-free sex?

If you drive a car into a building, you’re going to get fined. If you take drugs, you’re going to experience unpleasant side effects. If you have sex, there’s a definite chance you’ll get pregnant, no matter what you do.

Babies aren’t punishments, but they can definitely be consequences, and I’ve never seen so many people closing their eyes and shouting " LA LA LA LA!" at once when they’re told this.

Easy answer to our nation’s woes on this issue: KEEP YOUR PANTS ZIPPED UNTIL YOU’RE READY TO RAISE FAMILIES. There is NO RIGHT to consequence-free sex that exists.

The late Father Paul Marx, founder of Human Life International, use to explain & prove that in every place where artificial contraception was introduced abortion followed.
So are some people arguing for just a little bit of abortion?

No, on several counts. Some forms of contraception ARE forms of abortion.

Secondly, I don’t believe God created sex merely as a form of recreation, like it has become today. Sex is taught in schools, but the way it’s being taught, the word “love” is often never even mentioned. God, of course, is mentioned even less than “love” or “respect”, “responsibility”.

Sex has come to be just another bodily function, sort of like going to the bathroom.

Now, we’ve already TRIED contraception. Percentage wise, we had fewer unwanted pregnancies BEFORE contraception, NOT after.

When contraception first came into existence, it was hailed as the answer to everything. We figured it’d in one fell swoop completely do away with back-alley abortions, unwanted pregnancies, and all the rest.

However, what happened? Not only did contraception NOT deliver as promised, the unwanted pregnancy rate SKYROCKETED!

Now, you might say, “Well, that’s because these teens, etc., didn’t use it properly!” Okay, whose idea was it to teach teens, whose prefrontal cortexes are undeveloped, are immature, irresponsible, can’t get it together to clean their rooms, drive responsibly or anything else…to take on contraception?

I think going around passing out condoms is also encouraging promiscuity rather than responsible behavior.

I think natural family planning is the way to go if there is some legitimate reason to use anything. Further, it doesn’t have all the problems and side effects, encourages responsible behavior.

“Most Catholics” might be just because “most Catholics” really don’t seem to be into their faith holistically these days, especially when it comes to their politics.

I, however, will not accept paying for someone else’s immoral bedroom life while listening to them scream at me “It’s none of your business!”.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just how long of a universally consistent track record of the OPPOSITE effect actually being true would it take to convince you that the above is faulty reasoning?

People assume that it’s obvious that contraception reduces pregnancy rates because they bring a prejudice in that behavior is static and only outcomes are modifiable. But human behavior is NOT static, which is why the widespread availability of contraception and social respectability of it has always to date resulted in an INCREASE in the rate of unwanted pregnancy, which leads to MORE abortions, not less. These are the facts on the ground behind us, not any sort of catholic prejudice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.