Went to Confession and the Priest was wearing shorts and a polo shirt

I walked into the confessional today and only had the option of face-to-face. The priest was wearing casual clothing. I immediately asked him if he was a priest. He mentioned that he likes to be comfortable since he has to sit in the confessional for 2 hours.

I just thought it was odd. For the entire duration of the Confession, I kept thinking he was impersonating a priest and when the time came he wouldnt know the prayer of absolution…The priest passed with flying colors with the absolution, but overall, it was a disconcerting experience.

The Priest should have been wearing his cassock (or clerical shirt) with a violet penitential stole but nevertheless he's still a priest (minus the clerical garments) and you were absolved of your sins Amen

I believe that the violet penitential stole needs to be present.

The violet stole is not required for a valid sacrament any more than the entire 'God the Father of Mercies ...' prayer is (which it isn't, as long as the words 'I absolve you in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit' are said).

About a year ago, they played a video about priests during mass (I found that to be a bit unusually but it was not our parish and we were just visiting but since it was done during mass, the conclusion was that it was a Church approved video) and in one part the priest had to rush off to give the last rites to someone in a traffic accident and he ran back to his car to get his violet penitential stole. Why was he wasting precious second getting it (when the person could die) if it wasn’t needed?

And he didn’t get anything else out of the car at the same time - his oil for the anointing for example? THAT would’ve been necessary, and of course if the stole was there with it he’d grab it too, it wouldn’t take any more time.

One time I went to confession and the priest was sitting on the other side of the screen texting on his cell phone almost the entire time. It’s not the best thing to be doing I guess…

I think that’s the video “FIshers of Men”, a good one. There’s a few possible explanations for what you saw. One could simply be that it was done for dramatic effect. Another could be that he was actually running back to get his oils and the stole was kept with the oils.

I dunno… I think if that had been me, esp since you were uncomfortable (if it didn’t matter to you, there would be no point) I would have said, ‘I am not comfortable with you being so casual’ :shrug:

I don’t think it would have been wrong for you to express this. The priest is a man, but he is doing something for you. :blush:

I believe that it is important that when priests are doing priest-things, he LOOK like a priest. I would not want to be married by a priest wearing chef’s clothing… even if it is black and white! :mad:

Now, if it were some sort of emergency situation, personally, I would not care HOW he was dressed. But for a regular, sacramental confession… ‘Can I at least get the stole?’! :eek:

Of course, a man wearing a cassock, surplice, and violet stole would ALWAYS be a priest and never an impersonator, right?

Yeah, that was it. It was over a year since I saw it so some of it is a bit fuzzy.

[quote="Sir_Knight, post:11, topic:183394"]
Yeah, that was it. It was over a year since I saw it so some of it is a bit fuzzy.

[/quote]

ccc.usccb.org/video/fishers_of_men1.wmv

there is the film

[quote="blaskoman, post:1, topic:183394"]
I walked into the confessional today and only had the option of face-to-face.

[/quote]

There must always be the option for anonymous confession. Face to face is the option, anonymous is the norm.

One of my best priest friends wears his cassock, surplice and stole for confession. Even when he assists at penance services in other parishes, he wears the casock, surplice and stole. :thumbsup::thumbsup: My pastor wears an alb and stole.

[quote="JimG, post:13, topic:183394"]
There must always be the option for anonymous confession. Face to face is the option, anonymous is the norm.

[/quote]

One could argue that the canon does not outright* require* it when it says "*take care that *there are always".

My Latin parish church when it was remodeled created only a room for face to face confession. The other parishes in town have spaces that allow both options.

CIC Can. 964 §1. The proper place to hear sacramental confessions is a church or oratory.

§2. The conference of bishops is to establish norms regarding the confessional;* it is to take care, however, that there are always confessionals with a fixed grate between the penitent and the confessor in an open place so that the faithful who wish to can use them freely.
§3. Confessions are not to be heard outside a confessional without a just cause.

In the ECCs Holy Confession is done "face to face" except you wouldn't be facing the priest, but typically facing the Holy Icon of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ.

[quote="blaskoman, post:1, topic:183394"]
I walked into the confessional today and only had the option of face-to-face. The priest was wearing casual clothing. I immediately asked him if he was a priest. He mentioned that he likes to be comfortable since he has to sit in the confessional for 2 hours.

I just thought it was odd. For the entire duration of the Confession, I kept thinking he was impersonating a priest and when the time came he wouldnt know the prayer of absolution.....The priest passed with flying colors with the absolution, but overall, it was a disconcerting experience.

[/quote]

Your title says

the Priest was wearing shorts and a polo shirt

Your post says "The priest was wearing casual clothing".

I don't have a problem with a priest in casual clothes for some things but when celebrating the Sacraments under non-emergency circumstances? No thanks.

Shorts? Are you living in Hawaii or Australia or some tropical area with no air conditioning? No. It's Long Beach.

I don't live in the tropics so if I came to confession and the priest was in shorts I would excuse myself and leave. Depending on a number of things I might or might not approach him at another time if he was a priest I'd be seeing again for any reason, and explain my discomfort with his choice of clothing for offering the Sacrament of Penance.

His Holiness Pope of Rome Benedict XVI this past year traveled to Africa, Israel and Palestine during seasons with very hot weather and for hours on end he was celebrating liturgies and teaching and speaking while dressed in full vestments in the open air, no air conditioning and he is almost 82 years old.

Let me guess the age and country of origin of this priest... Maybe he needs a sabbatical.

Prayers for all our priests.

Totally would've creeped me out. Doesn't your church have air conditioning? How hot is it in Long Beach? Regardless, he should dress properly and shorts & a polo shirt doesn't cut it.

[quote="yellowbird, post:17, topic:183394"]
Totally would've creeped me out. Doesn't your church have air conditioning? How hot is it in Long Beach? Regardless, he should dress properly and shorts & a polo shirt doesn't cut it.

[/quote]

Y'all are making me laugh. I live in almost perpetual, 8 months out of the year heat. In the summer, the mercury easily hits 105+ on an almost daily basis. Sometimes, we start recording 100-degree heat as early as March and as late as November. You don't see my pv in shorts and a polo shirt in the confessional. He wears his cassock, surplice and purple stole.

[quote="5Loaves, post:16, topic:183394"]
Maybe he needs a sabbatical.

[/quote]

Being eccentric does not mean one needs a sabbatical.

[quote="NewEnglandPries, post:19, topic:183394"]
Being eccentric does not mean one needs a sabbatical.

[/quote]

But if his eccentriticies cause him to behave in an inappropriate manner, he needs a sabbatical! :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.