Went to my first TLM

I’m both impressed and jealous. Clearly some areas/parishes are much better than others. So much depends on the bishop and his priests…

I’m pleased that someone else’s experience is similar to mine , and is in fact is similar to that of most Catholics I know personally .

Diocesan cathedral offering more frequent confession? That’s not unusual. For the local OF parishes in my area? Few offer it more than once a week.

The fact that I don’t understand all of the Latin reinforces the awe and mystery of God. As the saying goes, “familiarity breeds contempt”.

Its the norm at my parish during OF masses too, but that’s not the point. Let the OP enjoy his experience without having to try and tell him it’s nothing special.

Obviously you meant “All the altar servers were boys.” And yes, perceptive of you to note that. Exactly how it should be everywhere. :sunglasses:

Every parish I know of, in my area and in others where I travel, if the priest is available, he will hear someone’s confession if they ask.

In a time when many parishes only have 1 priest, or multiple parishes share 1 priest, “scheduled” confession times are only going to be one day a week.

Maybe instead of complaining and comparing “who does it better” we should all just pray for more vocations.

In your opinion, but that is not the opinion of the Church.

The OP enjoyed his experience .

I haven’t seen anyone on the thread telling him it’s nothing special .

All celebrations of the Eucharist are special .

Kindly don’t put words into my mouth @CCHcolonel .

Cardinal Arinze discusses vocations in the video clip.

Cardinal Arinze is not the Church, and his opinion is just that, his.

Maybe, if and when he becomes Pope, he can change it, but until then, girls/women are allowed to be servers.

Yep. At the expense of vocations.

I’m fortunate that I’m able to regularly attend TLM each week as my Sunday Mass. Our priest also says the NO Mass at 11 immediately following, both are reverent and edifying. I’ve found myself in tears at both, as well as at a more “modern” NO Mass. It truly is Christ’s presence that counts.
That said, from where I sit, the most beautiful and edifying NO Mass’ I’ve been to always look more and more like TLM. It’s my personal belief that a return to structure, to beauty and reverence and silence, without so many options or “styles”, is needed at this time in the Church.

I keep saying I’m going to go to one. Every time I read about it on these forums, I say it again! haha, one of these times…

And I will add that at my parish, both TLM and NO Mass has an army of altar servers, like no other parish I’ve been to. All young men. And at daily Mass, some not so young. We’re have an older retired gentleman who serves the daily TLM when the young men are in school.

Horse hockey!

Stark raving beautiful. And the FSSP, ICK, etc. will gain seminarians from the ranks of their altar boys.

huh? 10 char

“Pope Gelasius in his ninth letter (chap. 26) to the Bishops of Lucania condemned the evil practice which had been introduced of women serving the priest at the celebration of Mass. Since this abuse had spread to the Greeks, Innocent IV strictly forbade it in his letter to the Bishop of Tusculum: ‘Women should not dare to serve at the altar; they should be altogether refused this ministry.’ We too have forbidden this practice in the same words in Our oft-repeated constitution Etsi Pastoralis , sect. 6, n. 21”

(Pope Benedict XIV, Encyclical Allatae Sunt , July 26, 1755, n. 29)

Perhaps someone could research the statistics on how many altar girls become seminarians.
Shouldn’t take long.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.