Went to Rite of Election

I am not sure where this would go , sorry…
On March 8th, Son and I went to Rite of Election & Call to Continuing Conversion,and it was awesome… About 7 people did not go which they missed out on something special (in mine and My Sons eyes).
:slight_smile:

I was scheduled to participate in rite of sending, then call to continuing conversion at the Cathedral. I had a severe anxiety/panic attack during Mass and couldn’t do either.
:cry:

Oh I have BAD panic attacks, luckly we were able to just stand in pews and not go up except to shake hands with the Bishop

I am devastated that I wasn’t able to participate in the rites. I don’t know what to do about my confirmation and first communion now.

It was not required that you go, don’t worry :slight_smile:
Our Deacon wrote the names in the book…
Your good to go. it will be fine :slight_smile:

What? I had to go home without the rites…

We had 8 people not show up, Deacon write there names in the book.

I can’t be confirmed at the Easter Vigil in the Cathedral because I have anxiety very bad. I don’t know what to do now :disappointed:

Considerations can be made, talk to your Priest :slight_smile:I already told my Deacon about my panic attacks so he knows…

Simple prayers work best:
While inhaling
While exhaling
Come Holy Spirit…
fill my heart
Lord Jesus…
grant me your peace
Lord Jesus…
I love you
If you practice when you’re not in the throes of wild anxiety, it will be easier to pray this way when you are. But “breathing prayer” is a good addition to any regular prayer time.

No one will be turned away from panic attacks…

Are you baptized or no?

Yes I am baptized…

Congratulations! It is such a joyous rite. One of our candidates asked me, “is it wrong to be so excited?” I love looking at the smiles on each face after they have shaken the hand of the Bishop.

It was SO EXCITING :slight_smile:

Speak with your pastor, the Rites leading up to the Vigil are lovely but if you cannot go to them the Church does not demand the impossible.

Your pastor will work with you.

Your Sponsor might be a great support. Have you told them?

First time was when I was being received into the Catholic Church and twice when I have been a sponsor. I absolutely love the way the Catholic Church prepares those who are being received into the Church step by step.

@Fraevo63, talk to the person leading your class, or to your pastor. They are aware of your anxiety if I remember correctly. I don’t think this will keep you from being confirmed, as TheLittleLady said already. Talk to them and make a plan of action should this arise again on Easter. Don’t try to figure this out by yourself!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.