Were Angels Created in The Beginning?

Dear all;

I understand angels “Greek angelos, which means ‘messenger’” are heaven-dwelling beings (except for Lucifer!).

Do we know when they came into being, or did they always exist, as with God?

Angels are just creatures and did not always exist. Only the Blessed Trinity has no beginning or end. Yes, angels were created in the beginning. God bless you.

This is taken from New Advent:

“They, equally with man, are created beings; “praise ye Him, all His angels: praise ye Him, all His hosts . . . for He spoke and they were made. He commanded and they were created” (Psalm 148:2-5; Colossians 1:16-17).”

Apparently it was revealed to Ven. Mary of Agreda that Lucifer was created when Almighty God said “Let there be light.” I cannot confirm this, and I haven’t given it much thought, but perhaps it is true.

I wonder why angels were created as well as mankind?

It seems angels are also susceptible to fall, as man is? I.e. Lucifer?

But is mankind created first and foremost to be most prized by God? In other words, are angels created in order to serve as the messengers between God and man?

It seems if angels were perfect, then God should have created these to know and love him instead of us sinful humans! Although I understand that perfect love has to be a choice. We were given the choice, which is how sin entered the world.

Gen 1:1 says, according to your translation, In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

In Hebrew usage, a term like “heavens and the earth” is a way of saying “everything.” There is a technical term for this “merism” and you see it used often in scripture. A Jewish commenetary states that this merism refers to all of the visible universe. But, there is an alternate view that “heavens” means exactly that, heaven and the heavenly host of angels.

Another example of this type of word usage is in the Nicene Creed, the words visible and invisible - a way of stating ‘everything.’

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.