Were men ever stoned to death for adultery?

I was thinking about the gospel account in which Jesus says to cast the first stone if you have not sinned.

[size=]Are there any recorded examples of men being stoned for adultery? [/size]

-Women have been stoned (I presume). What happened to the adulterer men?

-What was the punishment for a man caught in adultery?

Nothing? Flogging? Stoning? Crucifixion?

Yes. There are various Old Testament passages commanding death for both men and women adulterers.

Leviticus 20:10 If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife–with the wife of his neighbor–both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.

Proverbs 6:32 - [But] whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he [that] doeth it destroyeth his own soul.

Leviticus 20:13 - If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood [shall be] upon them.

Would an adulterer in the New Testament be put to death, is the question? I would be assuming but I believe so.

So man is more likely to persecute women in this regard? Hmmm, I don’t know, personally I think we should abandon the violence altogether, its a tool of the ignorant, but that’s not mankind’s history or nature to abandon the corruption, in other words we like to think we are civil. Wasn’t long ago they were burning witch’s to the stake in Salem. Throwing them alive, tied to a chair into the river to see if the HS was with them.

Yup, we have had some interesting ways of persecuting women, and frankly everyone one else we don’t think is like us to the degree we would like them to be. They kill over “nothing” and “everything” and all in between. Its amazing we fashion ourselves as having dominion over the animals. That was “Genesis” this is “post”. They don’t forget their nature, we now have an issue with that. :slight_smile:

Just my 2-cents.

Also Deuteronomy 22:22: “If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die.”

Understood so far. Thanks for listing the scripture references. It was quite late at night/early morning when I posted my question

But can anyone cite any examples of men being stoned?

Not necessarily from the Bible, but from rabbinic sources referring to the time period of the Bible or close to the first or second century AD.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.