Were our souls created male and female?

"As they set out from their place above, each soul is male and female as one. Only as they descend to this world do they part, each to its own side. And then it is the One Above who unites them again. This is His exclusive domain, for He alone knows which soul belongs to which and how they must reunite."
--The Zohar

Our souls are per se the essential form of our bodies. So yes they have gender, although souls are not sexual.

[quote="devoutchristian, post:2, topic:324643"]
Our souls are per se the essential form of our bodies. So yes they have gender, although souls are not sexual.

[/quote]

I'm talking about each soul being male and female, similar to how we have male and female hemispheres of the brain.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:3, topic:324643"]
I'm talking about each soul being male and female, similar to how we have male and female hemispheres of the brain.

[/quote]

Male and female hemispheres in the brain?

Hi Robert,

It is heretical to hold that the souls preexist the body. We believe that each soul is created at the moment of conception. The soul gives unity and personality to the individual.

The soul as a spirit does not have sexuality, but as the form or determining principle of the individual, it is characterized by all the properties of that individual, such as sex.

Verbum

[quote="devoutchristian, post:4, topic:324643"]
Male and female hemispheres in the brain?

[/quote]

Left=masculine; right-feminine.

[quote="Verbum, post:5, topic:324643"]
Hi Robert,

It is heretical to hold that the souls preexist the body. We believe that each soul is created at the moment of conception. The soul gives unity and personality to the individual.

The soul as a spirit does not have sexuality, but as the form or determining principle of the individual, it is characterized by all the properties of that individual, such as sex.

Verbum

[/quote]

I heard it said in Catholic circles that the souls were created at the beginning of time.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:7, topic:324643"]
I heard it said in Catholic circles that the souls were created at the beginning of time.

[/quote]

That is heretical.

What part is heretical, the part about the soul having been created since the beginning of time or that the soul is male and female? Do you have a source? Heretical in what sense?

Hi Robert,

What part is heretical, the part about the soul having been created since the beginning of time or that the soul is male and female? Do you have a source? Heretical in what sense?

The male/female opinion, as described, is dependent on pre-existence. So the whole thing is heretical. The Fifth Ecumenical Council of Constantinople condemned the opinions of Origen, who, though a Father of the Church, erred on this point.

IF anyone asserts the fabulous pre-existence of souls, and shall assert the monstrous restoration which follows from it: let him be anathema

Heretical has only one sense : rejecting a defined doctrine.

You will find the doctrines of Origen that were condemned at the following site, under the title : ANATHEMAS AGAINST ORIGEN

[size=3]http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/const2.asp[/size]

Verbum

[quote="Verbum, post:10, topic:324643"]
Hi Robert,

The male/female opinion, as described, is dependent on pre-existence. So the whole thing is heretical. The Fifth Ecumenical Council of Constantinople condemned the opinions of Origen, who, though a Father of the Church, erred on this point.

Verbum

[/quote]

My source is the Zohar, which is a part of Jewish mysticism. I would like to think that the Zohar did not contradict Catholicism. From the Zohar we can infer that Adam and Eve were originally spirits.

The soul is attached to the body uniquely & particularly. Eg. At conception, the soul, if a boy, could not change into a female & remain that unique soul. The soul is unique to that person, & everything that makes up that person including the physical. The soul occurs at conception - the time when the person is created & comes into being.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:11, topic:324643"]
My source is the Zohar, which is a part of Jewish mysticism. I would like to think that the Zohar did not contradict Catholicism. From the Zohar we can infer that Adam and Eve were originally spirits.

[/quote]

You should accept the Church's teaching.

Hi Robert,

The Zohar is not part of Christian tradition. If you are attracted by the mystics, get acquainted with St John of the Cross and/or St Theresa of Avila.

catholicfirst.com/thefaith/catholicclassics/johnofthecross/jotc.html

discerninghearts.com/?page_id=2687

Verbum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.