Were the words of absolution valid?

I am visiting another town on vacation, and went to Confession. The priest was kind, smart, knowledgable, and loves Jesus. But, the words of absolution seemed off

It was either:

“Through the authority of the priesthood, I (grant you pardon and peace, and I) absolve you of you sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit Amen.”

“Through the authority vested in me by the Church, I (grant you pardon and peace, and I) absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit Amen.”

Parentheses indicate I’m not sure whether he said that.

As long as he said “I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” you’re all set. In both examples you gave you’re covered.

BE AT PEACE.

Several of your posts point towards possible scrupulous thoughts, including this one. Seek counsel from a holy priest on these persistent doubts and intrusive thoughts,

The priest knows what he is doing,

Hmm. I am wondering if the priest used the vetus ordo formulation of absolution rendered into English. It would not be what you relate but it wouldn’t be far from that. The formula, which I had memorised only in Latin, went:
Dominus noster Iesus Christus te absolvat; et ego auctoritate ipsius te absolvo ab omni vinculo excommunicationis [suspensionis] et interdicti in quantum possum et tu indiges. Deinde, ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris, et Filii, + et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.
In any event, the essential words of absolution are the “I absolve you…” (or “ego te absolvo…”) and so, in answer to your concern: yes, you were validly absolved.

Was it, perhaps, “Through the ministry of the church, may God grant you pardon and peace. And I absolve you of your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.” …?

I would definitely tape him next time on your mobile and send it to the bishop for approval. He may have got a word wrong. (Ignore this as it is a joke. )
For heavens sake! Leave his job to him. You have done yours. Scruples is a real temptation to those who are trying to live their lives for God. You must be commended for this, but know you have a loving Father not a lawyer who worried about every word. You are forgiven if you rely on the priest.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.