Were you born between 1930 and 1970?

:DBORN IN THE
This is a true thread i found in another site.
WERE YOU BORN IN THE
1930’s 1940’s, 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s !

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn’t get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn’t open on the weekends, somehow we didn’t starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren’t overweight because…

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.��

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY,

no video/dvd films,

no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms…WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time…

We were given toy air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend’s house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn’t have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn’t had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on

MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bully’s�always ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn’t invent stupid names for their kids like ‘Kiora’ and ‘Blade’ and ‘Ridge’ and ‘Vanilla’

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

Yes indeed my dear friend, I AM ONE OF THEM and remember those days very well… !!

Me - August 1958 - USA

Mom - August 1934
Dad - April 1930

There is a song about these things too:)

A DIFFERENT WORLD Lyrics by BUCKY COVINGTON

I wasn’t here then.

the good old days; the good old days… and I’m glad there is such a wide spread of years included!! :smiley:

Yes

Then along came the 60’s and we all know what happend in the 60’s

you know one of the things I often think about.

We have supposedly made things better for kids and yet they seem to have more problems than ever.

more mental illness, more obesity, more social problems and its all got worse since the 60’s, and at the same time as all those things have got worse so has the divorce rate.

funny how you said Trish " till the 1970’s

For part of that time, one could also mention God in a public school. And one could
even PRAY! Tells you something, doesn’t it?

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bully’s�always ruled the playground at school.

This, unfortunately, was also true.:mad:

I had a classmate who was always grabbed by the ear by one particular teacher nearly every day from 7th to 12th grade (I went to a small school). She would literally PULL him up from his seat and out into the hallway, because he was a little slow. From what I recall, he was a nice kid, but he just did not “catch on” very well (I am sure he had a learning disability, looking back). As he got bigger, she took to smacking him with the long pointy stick she used to point out areas on maps or higher on the board.

There were also certain areas of the playground and certain equipment I and my friends could never play on, because the bullies hung out there. Heaven forbid if we tried to use it…the teachers just told US to stay away from that area. The bullies never got disciplined or told to let us use it.

Kids CAN pray in public school - they just can’t lead the whole class in prayer. But there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING forbidding anyone in any setting from silently saying a prayer. I can guarantee you that as long as there will be tests, there will be prayer, public school or not!

Yep, I was born in 1955. My fourth grade teacher used to throw chalkboard erasers at misbehavers. And drag kids outside and slam them against the wall. They deserved it though. I don’t remember ever thinking the teacher was wrong!:slight_smile:

Perhaps, I don’t know, because I was born 2 years before the 60’s… :shrug: but I believe it got worse in the late 80’s & early 90’s.

I forgot about the throwing of erasers…actually, my kids say a certain teacher at their Catholic high school does this to kids who are dozing off…:smiley:

So that’s where Congress People came from:D

You’re forgetting something. All those folks who grew up in the 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, 60’s and 70’s grew up to make those changes in society that disturb you so much. Either they learned from the mistakes of the past and wanted to change them or their past experiences made them so selfish they wanted to change society so newer generations would not have as much fun as they had when they were kids. Which is it?

Back then I no connection to any church yet I still believed there was a God…We closed our eyes and were quite for a second…I remember the duck and cover drills and visits to the air raid shelter in the basement…Even in the midst of that is was a more peaceful environment.
I well remember the “God is dead” commercial in the early 60’s…Man it went down hill fast…

I’m convinced there is a nice warm place in hell for teachers who treat children cruelly because they are “slow.”

*I was born in 1968. I remember that was the era of no TIME OUTS. You didn’t get any warnings…if you were in trouble, my dad would yell in Italian, and then whack on your bottom! No warning. It was scary. :sad_yes: But, I loved my dad just the same…

I also remember records. Remember record players??? :eek:

I love this thread…brings back fond memories. :)*

*Another memory I have …is that of having to sit at the dinner table when I was around 6 or 7…and remain there until I finished everything on my plate. I cannot imagine making my kids eat something green that they didn’t like. :stuck_out_tongue: There was one night, I won. I sat there until 10pm, refusing to eat whatever it was …and my dad finally took the plate, gave me a nasty look, and scraped the plate in the garbage. I showed him. :smiley:

Seriously though, my family was obsessed with eating everything on your plate… :shrug: That’s another thing of yesteryear…parents nowadays, don’t really get obsessed about these types of things, anymore. *:

I was born in the late 70’s but I remember everything except the British stuff. :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL! "They actually sided with the law…’’ how funny! :rotfl:

We also got exercise while changing between our 2-3 channels and adjusting the volume to suit our parents. WE HAD TO GET OFF THE CHESTERFIELD AND WALK TO THE TV. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.