Werewolves n vampires?

I know that we are all taught that they aren’t real, but can’t a demon posses someone and make them drink another person’s blood? Or transform their appearance so much they are like a wolf? I don’t believe in vampires and werewolves, but i just finished reading The Exorcist and i could see the girl in it drinking someones blood or something. It also says that the person’s appearance can change. I’m assuming the stuff they say about exorcisms in that book are real, i guess they might not be.

The Exorcist? If you mean the movie by that name, or the book it’s based on -
That is* fiction*. Neither the book nor the movie can be taken as a reliable guide to anything- especially anything having to do with possession or exorcism.

Rome’s cheif exorcist, Fr. Gabrielle Amorth, says that The Exorcist is his favorite movie and the most accurate portrayal of and exorcism. ( that isn’t the exact quote but it goes something like that) and his book An Exorcist Tells His Story, doesn’t disagree with it too much, if at all.

Wolf Boys
Danny and Larry Gomezare brothers, born to a large Mexican family that have passed on the condition hypertrichosis. When the boys were 9 and 6 years old they were adopted by the Campa family in Mexico everythingshiny.com/agency/larry.jpg

Vampires; Vampire Cults
apologeticsindex.org/243-vampire-cults

The Movie
In it, he described the inspiration for the film: a 1949 Washington Post article he’d read as a grad student when he was at Georgetown University. The piece, which ran August 20, told of a 14-year-old boy from nearby Mount Rainier, Maryland, who had undergone an exorcism.
radfordreviews.com/cgi-bin/rview.cgi?rm=mode2&type=article&name=RealorReelTheExorcist

Well, the Devil and his demons are simply fallen Angels.

Now, we know from scripture and tradition that Holy Angels have taken on the appearances of very handsome men, so it stands to reason that the fallen angels (unless God restrains them from doing so) know how to take on the appearance of something ghoulish like, say, the grim reaper, a werewolf, what have you.
But there is no natural creature known as a werewolf or human vampire, though there are weirdoes who call themselves vampires and do drink other people’s blood. YUCK !!

Actually, if I am correct, The Exorcist is based on an actual exorcism. That being said, on to the topic: can the devil make someone drink blood, or transform someone to another creature? The first is plausible; the second is nearly impossible. I have not heard of anyone actually turning into a werewolf, though there are those who have become mentally unstable to have become feral; whether they are under demonic possession would require more tests though.

I have read somewhere that some FBI profilers believe that vampires & werewolves are what people in previous centuries assumed were the cause of particularly horrific crimes. In truth, these acts were the work of serial killers in the past.
The assumption was, that nothing so horrible could be the work of a human being, so legends sprang up to explain these murders (& other crimes).
So, the question becomes: Are serial killers ever possessed? And I guess that I would say, maybe. Some of them, sometimes, might be. But that doesn’t excuse them, & it certainly doesn’t make them any less dangerous, nor does it mean they aren’t to be held responsible for their crimes.

Many cultures, both past and present, have held beliefs in some kind of vampire-like creature. Perhaps there is more to these stories than meets the eye? So maybe demons can possess people and make them do strange, evil things. Some serial killers ate parts of their victims; maybe they were possessed. Or just crazy. Hard to tell. Some modern secularists have claimed theists invented the Devil and demons to explain away evil because we find it hard to accept that people are responsible for evil. I say secularists have invented that notion because they can’t accept that truth that the Devil, and therefore God, exists.

Malachi Martin wrote an excellent book on the subject called Hostage to the Devil. These are stories about exorcisms that took place here in the US and were validated by Rome as actual demonic possessions.
You can get it on eBay for fairly cheap of you wish.:thumbsup:

Actually, there is a natural explanation for both vampirism and werewolfism.

Someone has already sent a link concerning natural “werewolves”

As far as vampirism. There is a disease called Porphyria. It is a genetic disease that limits the bloods ability to produce certain key proteins. The effects this has are many. One is that the skin becomes extremely sensitive to light, to the point that strong sunlight can almost immediately burn it. The skin shrinks, making the hair, fingernails, and even teeth appear to lengthen. The skin is abnormally pale because it cannot be exposed to sunlight, and in some cases, the skin will actually split in places. In addition, the body builds up phosphorus to the point that sometimes the teeth will glow.

The thing is an infusion of normal blood causes the symptoms to go away for a period of time. Some have even theorized that drinking of normal blood would cause the symptoms to go away for a time.

This disease may be what started the stories of Vampires.

A lone Raven

is it true that the church once believed that these creatures existed? and if so, the church being infallible, what does that mean exactly? just a random thought!

Sorry, I don’t think the Church has ever made an authoritative statement on either one of those things. It’s possible that some Catholic somewhere did, but that’s not the same as an official pronouncement. I don’t think the Church has ever had a Zoology department.

haha

i could have sworn that i read something somewhere…

guess i’ll google it.

While you’re at it you might want to google “infallibility” to understand what it’s all about.

Or read the following, from the old Catholic Encyclopedia.

newadvent.org/cathen/07790a.htm

Pay extra attention to section V, “What teaching is infallible?”

yeah i looked around and i found various things but i guess nothing that would be considered a reliable source… maybe i’ve watched too many old movies! :wink:

although it would seem that the folklore would have had some kind of impact on at least the faithful at that time (1600’s-1800’s or so, maybe earlier?) i’m assuming that it was a pretty widespread superstition. not to say that catholic people who lived back then were more prone to superstitious practices or beliefs, but i’m sure it was harder back then to distinguish reality from fiction. we’ve kinda figured a lot out since then.

thanks for the link.

Actually there may be a rational basis for a belief in werewolves: rabies.

Healthy wolves almost never attack a human unprovoked, but a sick wolf, such as one with rabies may do so. A person bitten by such a wolf who on becoming infected with rabies begins to manifest many of the same symptoms and behaviors of the sick wolf, may be thought to be changing into such a wolf by fearful people who do not understand this disease.

There may be similar bases for beliefs in vampirism.

interesting theory! i’ve always been interested in, not the actual superstitions, but the naivity, mass hysteria, reasoning and conclusions that create them.

Porphyria a very rare disease but has been known for centuries. There is some speculation that garlic (!) makes the symptoms worse. It can produce deformities, including making the gums contract, perhaps making the teeth look elongated, like fangs. Light is very painful and victims of this disease can often go out only at night. It is treatable today. My wife, who is a teacher, once had a child with this disease. It doesn’t take much imagination to get to vampire myths. There is no evidence that victims of this affliction crave blood.

An episode of the crime drama “CSI"
dealt with a cold blooded murderer who had Porphyria.
In the show, she was having her dogs kill people.
She would then take their livers, dry them, and make
"shakes” out of them.

I didn’t care for that episode, because it left
the misleading impression that the only type of treatment
that would work against Porphyria would be for people
to eat other people’s organs. Very morbid. And false.

Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+

Oh, come on, we’re supposed to save these threads for October. What’ll we talk about at Halloween?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.