West Africa Ebola death toll hits 337

I have forgotten about this health crisis in west Africa. But, surprisingly, it is still active even though it began five months ago.

The death toll in west Africa’s three-nation Ebola outbreak has risen to 337, the World Health Organisation said Wednesday, making it the deadliest ever outbreak of the haemorrhagic fever.

Fresh data from the UN health agency showed that the number of deaths in Guinea, the hardest-hit country, has reached 264, while 49 had died in Sierra Leone and 24 in Liberia.

The new toll marks a more than 60-percent hike since the WHO’s last figure on June 4, when it said 208 people had succumbed to the deadly virus.
afp.com/en/news/west-africa-ebola-death-toll-hits-337-who

The WHO says the sharply higher number of deaths in recent weeks doesn’t mean the virus is spreading faster. Rather, it is due to heightened surveillance and identification of deaths due to the virus. Many of the newly identified deaths occurred weeks ago, and were determined by retrospective examination.

The medical relief organization, Doctors Without Borders, looks at the numbers in a more negative light.

Marie-Christine Ferir, emergency programmes coordinator at Doctors Without Borders (MSF), the data showed a “fresh outbreak because there have been new cases” in Guinea.

“We are facing a second peak of the epidemic,” she said, adding that the fact that infected cases were not being isolated is complicating efforts at containing the outbreak.

MSF has frequently disagreed with official assessments from the WHO regarding this outbreak.

I’ll be praying, poor people, this is such a horrible virus.

Praying for all those affected.

Sierra Leone’s chief Ebola doctor contracts the virus

Across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, more than 600 people have died from the illness, according to the World Health Organisation, placing great strain on the health systems of some of Africa’s poorest countries.

Khan, a Sierra Leonean virologist credited with treating more than 100 Ebola victims, has been transferred to a treatment ward run by medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres, according to the statement released late on Tuesday by the president’s office.

Three days ago, three nurses working in the same Ebola treatment centre alongside Khan died from the disease.
reuters.com/article/2014/07/23/uk-health-ebola-africa-idINKBN0FS11520140723

This must be a nightmare disease for health care workers.

Wow its spreading, prayers are with them. Hows that contained. no air travel etc? I forget about this also, I seen the initial report too.

Can you imagine someone infected with ebola crossing our border to the south?

I think ebola virus is the worst virus to have. What a horrible way to die!
I pray this doctor survives! The people that treat those infected with ebola are so brave. This is the largest outbreak ever.

I don’t how they will get this under control.
How it starts and how it ends I don’t understand.

Ebola Epidemic Most Likely Much Larger Than Reported, W.H.O. Says

So far, 2,127 cases of the disease and 1,145 deaths have been reported in four nations — Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone — the W.H.O announced Friday. But the organization has also warned that the actual number is almost certainly higher, perhaps by a very considerable margin.

“Staff at the outbreak sites see evidence that the numbers of reported cases and deaths vastly underestimate the magnitude of the outbreak,” the group said in a statement on Thursday.

The epidemic is still growing faster than efforts to keep up with it, and it will take months before governments and health workers in the region can get the upper hand, Joanne Liu, the president of Doctors Without Borders, said on Friday, calling conditions on the ground “like a war.”

The epidemic’s front line “is moving, it’s advancing, but we have no clue how it’s going to go around,” Dr. Liu said. “Over the next six months we should get the upper hand on the epidemic,” she added, but this was only a “gut feeling” and it would happen only if sufficient resources were put in place.

nytimes.com/2014/08/16/world/africa/ebola-epidemic-who-health-crisis-west-africa.html

Part of the problem is that many of the deaths are happening in villages with which authorities have limited contact. Fear and distrust among the local population is partly responsible for the limited contact.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.