Westminster Dog Show 2017: Meet The New Breeds, And Cats, Who Will Be Featured This Year

ibtimes.com/westminster-dog-show-2017-meet-new-breeds-cats-who-will-be-featured-year-2483953

There will be some notable new additions to this year’s Westminster Kennel Club dog show, with three new breeds of dogs set to be featured as well as, for the first time, cats.

The American hairless terrier, the pumi and the sloughi will all compete for the first time in the famous competition, which will take place at New York City’s Madison Square Garden on Feb. 13 and Feb. 14. The trio were granted full recognition by the American Kennel Club last year and unveiled at an event Thusday promoting the Westminster dog show.

While new to the country’s most famous dog competition, they are far from new breeds. The American hairless terrier, which derives from the rat terrier breed, was developed in the U.S. at the start of the 1970s. Despite their name, many are coated although they still carry the hairless gene.

The other newcomers date back even further. The sloughi is an ancient breed of sighthound originating in northern Africa and known for its speed and hunting skills. Meanwhile, the pumi is a herding breed originating in Hungary. It was developed as a result of careful selection by shepherds looking for a dog that could successfully herd cattle and sheep on their farms.

Moms might appreciate this anecdote. One year when my oldest was about 3 we were watching. A brand of dog food was the sponsor, and it’s logo was a paw print.

DS looked at it and exclaimed, “Mommy! A clue!” :smiley:

Oh, that’s good! :slight_smile:

This reminds me to watch Best in Show again. Fred Willard’s character cracked me up in that.

I want a puppy. One of each, please.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.