What 5 Books Might Someone Suggest When A Friend Is Looking Into The Catholic Faith?

What 5 books would you suggest to offer someone, besides the Bible and the CCC, who is looking into returning to the Catholic Church or interested in joining the Catholic Church? Thanks and God bless! Mike :wave:

[quote=MichaelKelly]What 5 books would you suggest to offer someone, besides the Bible and the CCC, who is looking into returning to the Catholic Church or interested in joining the Catholic Church? Thanks and God bless! Mike :wave:
[/quote]

All three of these books by Dave Armstrong:

1. "A Biblical Defense of Catholicism"
    2."More Biblical Evidence for Catholicism"
    3.“The Catholic Verses”

2. “Catholic and Christian: A Explanation of Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs” by Alan Schreck

5.“Church History” by Fr. John Laux, M.A.

May the peace of Christ be with you:)

I found the short stories in the Surprised by the Truth Books (books 1, 2 & 3) to be excellent ways of learning various aspects of the church from the eyes of others who have investigated and been convinced of the Truth to be found in the one holy Catholic and apostolic Church.

I also liked Karl’s book, “Catholicism and Fundamentalism.”

Good luck and God Bless,

CARose

Originally posted by CARose
I found the short stories in the Surprised by the Truth Books (books 1, 2 & 3) to be excellent ways of learning various aspects of the church from the eyes of others who have investigated and been convinced of the Truth to be found in the one holy Catholic and apostolic Church.

I would have to agree that the Surprised by Truth series has been a great read as well as informative. But also, I think it would also depend on the person you are giving the book to. There are tons of excellent books by authors such as Scott Hahn, Karl Keating, Patrick Madrid, Fulton Sheen, Ludwig Ott, Dave Armstrong (as mentioned by J.W.B), Bob Sungenis, and the list goes on, that all address the Church in general or on specific beliefs that most people have difficulty with, like Mary, the Saints, Baptism, the Eucharist, contraception etc…

So a question I would ask is: Would the person benefit from a book that is more comprehensive or more specific to a certain topic? If more a specific book would be beneficial, maybe you could ask on good books on a certain doctrine or issue this person may be more interested in or having trouble coming to terms with.

Two of my favorite books that I would consider giving someone in your situation would be “Your Life is Worth Living” and “The Life of Christ” both by Fulton Sheen. The first is a good intro to the Catholic Faith and the second a classic on the Life of Christ. God Bless.

The most helpful books I received were actually magazines - This Rock Magazine was so helpful - full of apologetic type articles. I also really really appreciated Magnificat (sp?) which is a small book/magazine that is published monthly and it has all the mass readings plus lots of prayers for the month. When I first started coming to mass it was such a comfort for me to see how much the Word of God was being read. It made more of an impact because I could follow along. Both can be purchased at my local Catholic Bookstore & I know they can be ordered online.

I can’t believe I’m the first one to say this…

ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING BY DR. SCOTT HAHN!!!

[size=2]May the Peace of Christ be with you always,
RyanL
[/size]

Also *Catholicism For Dummies * (Fr. Trigilio is a co-author.)

Depends on the person, but…

In order

1. Letters to a Young Catholic by George Weigel
  2. Unabridged Christianity by Fr. Mario Romero
  3. Catholic Christianity by Peter Kreeft
  4. Triumph: The Power and Glory of the Catholic Church by
    H. W. Crocker.
  5. Evangelical is not Enough by Tom Howard or The
    Catholic Verses
    by Dave Armstrong.

David

Suprised by Truth- Patrick Madrid
Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic - David Currie
The Biblical Basis for the Catholic Faith - John Salza
Unabridged Christianity - Fr. Mario Romero
The Lamb’s Supper - Scott Hahn

What really helped me learn to love the Catholic Religion were books on Saints. Great reading, devotion to the Lord and the way they applied their everyday lives with Catholicism.
The Story of A Soul - The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux is a great one.:slight_smile:

Blessings to all.

To the list so far I’ll add

“On Being Catholic” by Thomas Howard

And Theology For Beginners, by Frank Sheed

Hello All,

There are several good books out there for those considering or reconsidering the Catholic Faith:

1. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

2. Exploring the Catholic Church: An Introduction to Church Teaching & Practice by Marcellino D’Ambrosio

3. What Catholics Really Believe: 52 Answers to Common Misconceptions About the Catholic Faith by Karl Keating

4. The Salvation Controversy by James Akin

5. Catholicism and Fundamentalism: The Attack on “Romanism” by “Bible Christians” by Karl Keating
    :wave:

It would depend on the person’s background. I would recommend differently to an atheist, a Jew, a Moslem, a Baptist, or an Anglican.

But I think five is too many. You need to narrow it down. To one.

Presuming the person does not have a deeply predjudiced ant-Catholic background:

1. To Know Christ Jesus, by Frank Sheed
  2. Catholic and Christian, by Alan Shreck
  3. Surprised by Truth 1,2,3), ed. by Patrick Madrid
  4. Why Do Catholics Do That?, by Kevin Orlin Johnson
  5. Catholicism For Dummies, by Fr. Trigilio

For those with predjudices to overcome:

1. Catholicism and Fundamentalism, by Karl Keating
  2. Evangelicalism is Not Enough, by Thomas Howard
  3. Rome Sweet Home, by Scott Hahn
  4. A Biblical Defense of Catholicism, by Dave Armstrong
  5. More Biblical Evidence for Catholicism, also by Dave Armstrong

For converting an agnostic:
New American Bible
Catechism of the Catholic Church
Case for Creation, Case for Faith, and/or Case for Jesus by Lee Strobel
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

For a revert:
New American Bible
Lamb’s Supper by Scott Hahn
Where is that in the Bible?
a book of basic Catholic prayers or Basic Apologetics

For those with non-Catholic background:
New American Bible
Where Did We Get the Bible?
Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs
A audio tape series on Justification or Mary by Tim Staples

[quote=RyanL]I can’t believe I’m the first one to say this…

RyanL
[/size]
[/quote]

** :thumbsup: I would say Rome Sweet Home ** is a MUST READ. It is terrific.

[size=3]Also - on a fictional, but very informative end - How Firm A Foundation … by Marcus Grodi … EXCELLENT :thumbsup: [/size]

I didn’t see this mentioned by I LOVED "Why I am Still A Catholic." It is a series of essays by well known people (many of whom I did not know were Catholic). It’s not an apologetic or cheerleading session and does include some dissident comments. But many of the stories were very inspirational as these individuals confront some of the challenges of Catholicism and the reasons they still love and practice the Catholic faith. I was particularly inspired by Mary Cunningham Agee who started an organization called Nurturing Network to support pregnant women in having their babies instead of abortion.

I like this book specifically because I suspect anyone considering Catholicism has some of the same questions and concerns that the writers have had in their own faith journey.

Of course I also agree about Rome Sweet Rome and Surprised by Truth as well. Just thought I’d add one not already listed.
lisa N

I only have three.

1: The Bible.

2: The Catechism.

3: Condenced edition, select writtigns of the Eary Churhc Fathers.

That should be nough I htink… wlel that and a few Chick Tracts maybe… ( Sorry couldnt resist )

[quote=RyanL]I can’t believe I’m the first one to say this…

RyanL
[/size]
[/quote]

Amen!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.