What about children circling the altar during the consecration?

This is my first post but have been listening for a number of years. I apologize if this has been covered in the past posts before. I’m the father of 6 young children and recently completed a job transfer from Virginia to California. We previously belonged to a parish which beautifully emphasized the orthodox traditions of the catholic church (Latin Hymns, Lots of Alter Boys, Use of Bells at the consecration, Use of Patens during communion) in the Arlington Diocese. Our new Parish is in the Arch Diocese of Los Angeles and seems to have a less formal style (Standing v.s. Sitting during communion, emphasis of receiving OUR LORD in the hand, bringing the children up to the alter during consecration). I know these differences are cultural in nature, what I don’t understand is my perception for a lack of reverence during the Act of Consecration. How do I teach my children reverence when they are asked to get out of their seats and stand in a circle around the alter during the most important part of the mass? There is no kneeling for the children and the kids seem very distracted. Any advice would be helpful as we are feeling conflicted about these cultural changes.

Dear friend,

No one is allowed to stand during the consecration except the priests. This is liturgical law and no priest has the authority to disregard it–even for children. Actually, children especially should not be given such bad example.

The faithful “should kneel at the consecration unless prevented by the lack of space, the number of people or some other good reason.” (General Instruction of the Roman Missal)

I suggest that you visit other parishes for one that is more obedient to the Magisterium.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.