What about Christian Music?

What about Christian Music? What do I mean by that? I want to ask a question- Do you think it’s better to listen to than the NonChristian Music? If so, why? If not, why not?

My personal opinion is a mixed one. Although I see much value in listening to music with uplifting and inspiring messages, there is a certain danger involved. What do I mean by that? I refer to the fact that there can be a certain “HOLIER THAN THOU” attitude among Christian musicians- and that was condemned more by Jesus than what were considered vile sinners in his day. Now, I do love listening to Christian music, and see much value to it, but I do think it can have a certain Judgemental and Pharasaical attitude toward people who don’t embrace the particular singer’s opinions and attitudes about what the bible says. I’m signing off now. Tell me what you think…

Tommy

I also enjoy some Christian music but personally believe that there is more “bad” Christian music than “good” Christian music. By bad I mean one of two things: the song is 1) not good music (just as most secular popular music is) and/or 2) bad theology; much Christian music just vomits evangelical Protestant theology.

With your specific question in mind, I find it repulsive that many of these so-called Christian musicians are dirt-rich while singing about sacrifice, helping the poor, etc. However there are many that are wonderful examples of Christian living (Michael John Poirier, John Michael Talbot, the late Rich Mullins, etc.) I think it is difficult to separate a musician’s personal life from their message.

(Psalms 33:3) Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

I think all music has the power to connect people to God, Christian music or not. Any music that connects people to God and to each other should be embraced. While it’s difficult to separate the artist from his or her song, I think it’s important to remember that we all fall short in one way or another, and it is by God’s grace that we are able to celebrate together in worship – and in the spirit of grace and forgiveness, and love, we can enjoy great Christian and non-Christian music. It’s what WE do with the song’s message – do we bash the writer for making money off of a powerful song, or do we turn around and feed the poor? Should doctors not be paid well for performing open heart surgery? Jesus himself ate with sinners – he came for the sick and the broken, not for the perfect and righteous… let your light shine in a broken world instead of avoiding it.

Download karaoke hymns and worship songs
spiritrax.com

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.