What about frequent confession when there is no grave sin?

I’m getting mixed messages.

From the Church, from articles, from readings, I understand that one should frequently avail themself of the Sacrament of Reconciliation for the graces obtained, perhaps on a monthly basis. It’s always conveyed on a positive note that the Pope went weekly to confession.

On the other hand, I understand–even when reading some of the answers in this forum–that venial sins do not require going to confession…of course, assuming one is sincerely contrite and confesses to God. So on one hand, I’m hearing go more frequently…on the other hand if you only have venial sins it’s not necessary, could take up time needed for those with grave sin, and very possibly is being scrupulous.

I’m no saint, I fight my pettiness and laziness daily. It strikes my heart when I pray “in the things I do and the things I FAIL TO DO”…sins of OMISSION more so than sins of COMMISSION. But through the grace of God and the protection of my guardian angel, to my knowledge I have not committed any mortal sins.

I want, no, I NEED the grace bestowed by the Sacrament of Reconciliation, but something seems not right if I have to try to think hard to come up with some sins that might be "worthy’ enough to confess so as not to be taking up the priests valuable time nor finding myself practicing scrupulosity.

Those who say going to confession isn’t necessary for venial sins, as it could take up time needed for those with grave sin, or that it could be a sign of scrupulosity, are misguided. In fact, the Church strongly recommends the regular confession of venial sins.

*Catechism of the Catholic Church *no. 1458 says,

“Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church.59 Indeed the regular confession of our venial sins helps us form our conscience, fight against evil tendencies, let ourselves be healed by Christ and progress in the life of the Spirit. By receiving more frequently through this sacrament the gift of the Father’s mercy, we are spurred to be merciful as he is merciful.”

So don’t worry about taking up a priest’s time. He wants your time. Jesus wants your time. He waits for you in the sacrament of confession. “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus” Phil 4:6-7.

St. Teresa of Avila said, “For the love of God, take care never to grow careless about venial sin, however small … There is nothing small if it goes against so great a sovereign.”
Source: secondexodus.com/html/catholicdefinitions/venialsin.htm

I also recommend you get a copy of the book *Pardon and Peace *by Fr. Francis Randolph. It addresses the issue of frequent confession. God bless you! You are in my prayers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.