What about living with girlfriend with kids and no intention of getting married?

I was curious. I have a hypothetical situation for you in regards to a Brother and Sister in Christ that are in sin.

These Christians are living together and have been living together for over five years. They have three children together, but are debating on whether to become Catholic.

I am not Catholic myself, but at first.. I thought they would have to get married. But the more I think about it, they may be able to become Catholic as long as they don't take the Eucharist, much like a divorced person must do. In which, they would have to study out purgatory.

I do want them to find a church to be happy in and accepted. What should I tell them?

Hi,

If such a couple wants to become Catholic, the two will have to be married in the Catholic Church in order to do so. To approach the Catholic Church while still choosing to live in sin is not the way to come closer to Christ. One can’t choose Christ and not choose Him at the same time. The Eucharist is at the heart of our faith. It is THE living memorial of His Passion. I don’t follow your comment about Purgatory. I think you need to learn more about what it is. I hope this helps.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.