What about Mother Teresa's exorcism?

I read that an exorcism was performed on Mother Teresa once.

Has an exorcism been performed on any other canonized saint in Church history?

(I know Mother Teresa hasn’t been canonized yet, but I’m sure it’s just a matter of time!)

Hi,

The Associated Press reported on September 6, 1997 that “Mother Teresa had an exorcism performed on her while she was hospitalized in 1997, the Archbishop of Calcutta said Wednesday. The disclosure by Archbishop Henry D’Souza came as hundreds of people in this eastern Indian city paid homage to the renowned caregiver on the fourth anniversary of her death.”

It seems that she became very restless and troubled. After the prayers were recited she became quite calm and peaceful. It would appear that the Lord allowed Satan to trouble her one more time. He also allowed the representative of the Church she so faithfully served to come to her aid.

It is not possible to determine such experiences in earlier times that weren’t inclined to record such matters. There may be some, but I don’t know where to locate them.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.