What about my bad thoughts?

Like everyone else, I am human, basically flawed. I like to try my best at loving my neighbor and seeing good in everyone, but sometimes I can get upset or jealous over some things. I then might think a bad thought about someone. After that, I feel pretty bad about what I’ve just thought and ask God to forgive me. What I ask is, can the devil manipulate these thoughts? He can’t use them to hurt other people, can he? Because now I’m just kind of worried that something bad will happen to someone because I thought a bad thought. I’m even worried just typing this. God won’t let that happen will he? I don’t want anything bad to happen to anyone.

Thank you

Hi,

Thoughts are just thoughts. It’s what we do as the result of them than can cause harm. Relax, no one is going to be harmed simply by what we think. It’s what we deliberately do that matters. Your feelings of fear sound rather compulsive.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.